Chapter 17

"This looks oddly familiar doesn't it Pond?" Dino asks giving him a smile. "Shut up you yuck." Pond says cocking the pistol. What does he mean? Oddly familiar? "Go get help." He motions for me to run. I run to the phone and ask the operator to get us backup. When I get back into the room I heard gunshots... Am I dead.....? No.. I can't be dead.. That's when I see his lifeless corpse lying on the floor in his house. "Is backup coming Phyllis...?" I freeze, hearing him break the silence, I look at him slowly. "Yes sir?" He looks at me "Oh, sorry sir I'm a little shaken up, but yes backup is coming." I sigh as I move to sit on the floor. I pull my knees up to my chest as I sit there. Is this it? Is Dino actually dead? So many emotions are flowing through me at this very moment. I never expected it to end like this.. I expected Dino to stay in jail for life until he died there, not him dying on the floor at the hands of Sergeant Pond. Not long after Nick comes in with other policemen that I know, some I don't know. "Phyllis! Are you alright love?" I look over to him and see that he's on his knees next to me. I wrap my arms around him, "I'm okay Nick, I'm even better now that you're here." As we're hugging Nick kisses my forehead softly. He helped me up off the floor too.

Nick and I got married, and had children. I love this man, we had two kids together their names are Barbra, and James. The year is now 1965, and we have lived happily since Dino had died. I'm thankful my kids never met him. I just wish my sister could have met her niece and nephew. Now I know what it's like to go beyond the shadow of a detective.