27

Y/N's POV

I somewhat hoped that the ride home from Nebraska would take a while... just to prolong the inevitable a little while so I could gather my thoughts.

However, much to my chagrin, it went relatively quickly...and I still felt entirely unprepared.

I was still steaming. Dean's hypocrisy...him sending Cas to do recon on me...him STILL not telling me what the hell happened...all of it mixed together inside my heart and flooded me with the perfect storm.

So as I parked my bike, grabbed my gear and marched my way towards the door, I had my anger locked and loaded, ready to make my stand.

However...once I had marched all the way into the main area and saw him pacing around the library, eyes angrily studying the floor...I was overcome with an intense flood of emotions.

It had been so long since I'd seen him... his facial hair stubble had grown out slightly, giving his face a darker tone... but it did nothing to hide the rigidness of his jaw as his teeth clenched. He was wearing a pale blue flannel with the sleeves rolled up to his elbows, and the veins in his muscular forearms protruded from under his skin as he clenched and loosened his fists repeatedly. Even in a state such as this...he never failed to take my breath away and replace it with the flutter of butterflies.

His pacing ceased once he heard me enter the room, and his eyes darted up to meet mine, freezing me in my tracks. His green eyes were wide, although he had dark circles beneath them, as if he hadn't slept in quite a while. I could tell right away how furious he was...but I also detected the pure joy in his gaze when he saw me.

We both stood still as statues, just staring at one another, waiting to see who would make the first move, like an old western movie showdown. It was apparent we were both overjoyed to be reunited...but both of our stubborn asses were clearly too pissed to give in to it.

"Do you have anything to say for yourself?" he finally muttered in a stern voice, crossing his arms over his chest as he raised his brows at me.

I gulped, trying to compose myself enough to remember everything I had planned to unleash at him. After another moment of silence, I opened my go-bag, reaching into it and pulling out my bag of monster trophies.

I tossed it towards him, and he reflexively reached out his hands and caught it, looking down at it confused. He opened the bag, widening his eyes as he inspected the contents of it, before lifting his gaze back to me.

"What the hell is this?" he asked, and I could tell he was trying to sound angry...but he was impressed, deep down...as he should be.

"Proof." I shrugged innocently.

"Of?" he rustled the bag around, taking note of how many monsters I'd killed in the span of a month just by the variety of parts in there.

"That I'm not a fucking child." I spat, before turning to make my way towards my bedroom, overly satisfied with myself for proving my point the way I did.

"Y/N....Hang on, dammit." he plopped the bag on the large wooden table before hurriedly following me, yet I refused to break my dignified stride.

We had paced all the way to my bedroom, and I flung the door open without turning to look back at him, dropping my bag on the bed and beginning to unpack it without a word, refusing to let my dignity slip.

"Look, I'm sorry. I regretted what I said the second I said it." he mumbled, standing on the opposite side of the bed from me in hopes of catching my gaze. "I just need you to understand-"

"No, I understand fine, Dean." I cut him off rudely as I finally stood up straight to glare at him. His brows raised, clearly shocked with me speaking to him in such a way.