Forty Seven: But Why Can't I Have One? (The Toddler Complex)

The notion that he may have been lying to get her alone was one that came to mind many a times in the hour ride towards 'Nicole,' but Adrian wasn't being mendacious, Isaline quickly learned when they pulled up to the boutique the female Lew owned, and she saw the dark red vehicle that was Nicole's sports car parked in the back of the building, just like he said.

Not everything revolves around you, Isaline Brianne, She told herself brusquely as she watched Adrian climb out the nice, black car they were in, walk around it, and then open the door for her like the gentleman he occasionally was. When he pulled her out he was a little too rough, the grip on her upper arm starting as a slow aching pain.

"Ow," She said aloud, wincing when Adrian didn't seem to hear her, his focus on the two other cars that pulled up next to him within minutes, "Baby, that hurts, you're holding me too tightly," Isa murmured as Leo and another man got out of a silver car, and Adrian Senior out of a burgundy one.

Adrian's father spoke, "Son, focus on your wife," He said patiently, though the storm that was brewing beneath his son's gaze, Leo's, and this unknown vampire's too, was in his own eyes.

His father's voice was the one that helped Adrian to finally understand what Isaline was saying, and immediately he lessened the death grip he had on his woman's arm, "Sorry, love," He murmured, bending so he could press his lips to hers.

Isaline's lips curled into a small smile, brushing against his as she spoke, "It's fine," She whispered, pecking his plump lips once, "Why are we here? "

Leonardo was the one to answer Isaline's inquiry, "Nicole upset the Beta of a local pack, and he followed her here and won't leave, put his hands on her, so she called in her coven. This is my oldest brother Jackson. Jack, this is Isaline, Adrian's woman. Let's go,"

Isa only had time to take a quick glance at the man who unlike Leo had brown hair and green eyes, and was about two inches taller than him before the four of them entered the store through the back. Adrian's grip on her arm disappeared completely, only to take her hand in his seconds later, and unknowing as to what to do with this man- this vampire- who was on the verge of letting some...Beta-whatever that was-meet his maker earlier than was expected, Isaline squeezed his hand gently, silently telling him that she was there, even though she had no clue what was going on. She was there.

She was there, always.

And he squeezed right back as if to say, I know.

What's a Beta? Isaline asked Adrian through their link.

His voice was harsh, and he snapped back at her, The second in command in a pack of werewolves.

Isa nodded as if she understood, but she didn't, and her next question told Adrian just that, We don't like Betas?

Even with how obviously irritated he was, Adrian answered Isaline, his lips tilted up in a crooked smile that showed his amusement even as he did so, We don't like Betas who fuck with our family; so in this case, no.

She nodded in understanding, and couldn't help the wave of benevolence that ran through her. Not too long ago, he was telling her that just because he was her boyfriend did not mean that she was a part of his family. Now, she was married to him-in the way super naturals did it with the marking and all- and was counted as a Lew in that same unorthodox way. And, God, that felt good.