Chapter 20

Ron struggled with the tie of his newly rented tuxedo. He's not a fan of formal clothes but it is a must. Despite his mother telling him he looked sharp, he felt like a clown. Besides, he doesn't have a date so, he stood on the edge of the other side, looking lost and ridiculous.

He sighed with relief when Ginny called him, inviting him to sit at their table. His sister also doesn't have a date, it's weird considering many people asked her and she rejected. He's so thankful that Hermione didn't have a date. After Harry introduced Elle, she refused to go with anyone else just like how he refused to go with anyone except Hermione.

"What are you doing there by yourself, Ron?" Ginny asked as he approached them.

He just shrugged and sat without sparing Hermione a glance. He knows if he looked at her, he'll go weak. Just then Harry and Elle joined them. That's when he peeked at Hermione and his jaw almost dropped. She was in a stunning blue dress, her hair is less curly and her lips were so plump and pink. Ron couldn't take his eyes off her even if he tried so hard. Oh my, she's gorgeous. Except, she looked depressed, her lips forming a little frown and he knows the reason.

He was interrupted when Harry named "Ron, why didn't you have a date? I heard Vanessa ask you?"

"uh, I - I'm not interested" he shrugged. From the corner of his eyes, he can see Hermione staring at him.

"Not interested? Who dresses up like getting married when they're not interested?" Elle jokes. Oh, she speaks.
Pity that no one laughed, not even Harry. Wait, is he looking at Ginny? Nevermind.

Harry was in a tux similar to his and it fits him better. He was busy talking to Ginny and his girlfriend frowned. When he looked at Hermione, she was staring at Harry. Okay, that hurt. He really should stop looking at her before his heart gets heavy.

He didn't notice the music started playing in the background until Elle dragged Harry to the dance floor. The music was loud and the lights dimmed, everyone instantly reached the dance floor and began to dance clumsily.

"Well, What are we waiting for?" Ginny raised her eyebrows at Ron and Hermione, waiting for their consent.

"I'm good" Surprisingly they both say at the same time.

Ginny looked between them for a minute and shrugged and left to the dance floor.

Never did Ron feel this uncomfortable sitting with Hermione. He almost wished he should have left with Ginny. His hands reached for his tie again - fidgeting with it uncomfortably. He visibly gasped when Hermione placed her hands on his and his own hands found their way to his lap, Hermione loosen his tie and smiled at him.
"looks like you're struggling with it, Ron."

"yea uh, I don't like--"

"ties, formal attire, I know" Hermione finished.

"Mmm"

"Looks good on you though"

Bloody hell. Ron could feel his face heating up so he looked away.
"You look good too," he said cursing himself for stuttering.

She just smiled. "Why didn't join the dance floor?"

He shrugged. "Not interested. What about you?"

"Me neither"

Ron knows they both are lying. Hermione would have danced if it were Harry and he would have if it were Hermione. He laughed at their twisted fate.