Chapter Thirteen

"Green Day!"

"Death Cab for Cutie!"

"My Chemical Romance!"

"umm... Nevershoutnever!"

"...Paramore!"

"Muse!"

"... ummm... umm... Justin Bieber!" Alex yelled. I burst out laughing.

"Justin Bieber? Wow I didn't know you were a fan!" I teased. He glared at me playfully.

"I panicked ok?" I shook my head.

"Sure..." We were sat in Alex's living room talking about decent bands. It was 2:30pm, which meant I had to leave in 15 minutes. We were spending as much time together as possible, seeing as my parents probably didn't approve of him. I closed my eyes, and leant against his shoulder, breathing in deeply. He was shocked by my actions at first, probably because before I had flipped at him touching me even by accident, but soon enough he had his arm around me. "We're not going to get to hang out for a while are we?" I said, pulling away. He shook his head, sighing.

"No. My parents are coming back in two days so maybe if there's any way you can come tomorrow?" I thought for a minute, before shaking my head.

"I think my parents are pretty strict on this one. Unless we cut school again..." I trailed off. He laughed.

"I've corrupted you. Good little Scarlett talking about skipping? What has the world come to?" I gasped in mock horror. I laughed before glancing at my watch and sighing.

"I should probably go now. My dad might meet me from school." Alex jumped up.

"I'll come with you. If we walk out together, he'll believe we were in school. " I raised my eyebrows. Obviously not a excuse to spend time with me. "What?" I let out a short laugh. For some reason I felt really relaxed around Alex. I didn't have to put up any pretences around him, I could be myself, someone even I didn't know. I hadn't been myself for 5 years. I shook my head at the thought, and Alex gave me a funny look.

"Don't worry." I said, and I walked out of his front door.

"Wait!" Alex yelled, and I turned. He beckoned for me to come back, and I laughed and entered the house again. He ran up the stairs and I looked at some of the photographs which were perched on a little coffee table in the hall. Some were of Alex when he was younger, with a women who I was guessing was his mother. Another was of him now, with a little girl on his shoulders- his sister. I picked up the last photo as Alex came down the stairs, before cursing and running back up them. I chuckled at that, before turning back to the photo. The breath caught in my throat, as I stared at it, my vision becoming blurry from not blinking for so long. The picture fell from my hands as the world span and my breathing grew quicker and more desperate. The picture was a current one, of Alex his sister, his mother and the man of my nightmares. I leant back against a wall, sliding down it and curling into a ball. No. Not him. Anyone but him.

"It's all okay. I got it." Alex yelled, leaping down the stairs. As soon as he saw me he was by my side. "Scarlett. What's wrong? What happened? Please tell me." He picked me up easily, shutting the door and returning to the living room. He gripped my hand and sat beside me as I cried. "What happened?" he murmured. I didn't answer, just kept crying. He left the room and came back with the photograph. I cowered away from it and he frowned. "What's in this picture?" he asked, his blue eyes piercing into mine. I reached out a hand and pointed at the man.

"Who's that?" I whispered.

"My step-dad. Why?" He asked carefully, obviously not wanting me to break down again.

"He just looks like someone I... used to know." I murmured, looking up at him.

"Ok. And by 'used to know' you mean who tortured you and beat you for 5 years." I bit my lip and nodded slowly.

"But it can't have been him." I said, my voice sounding confident. Shame I didn't feel it. Alex watched me for another minute, before nodding.

"Alright." he glanced at his watch. "Shit, we're going to have to walk very quickly." I shakily got up and we walked out of the door, Alex carrying my bag. We walked in silence and made it to the school as the bell was going, and we sipped into the corridor rush. We emerged from school together, still in silence. My dad's car was parked a little way off, and he waved to me. I turned to Alex.

"Thankyou." I whispered, and he grinned.

"Same time tomorrow?" he smirked. I hit him lightly on the arm.

"That depends on if I can persuade my dad to let me stay round 'Peeta's'." I made air quotes with my hands, and we both laughed. "I really mean it. Thankyou." I whispered, hugging him. I could fell the smirk on his face, and I hit him again, pulling away. "Bye." I walked over to my dad's car and got in. "Hey." I said absentmindedly.

"Is that Alex?" my dad said stiffly. I nodded. "You two seem close." my eyes widened.

"Umm... kinda." My dad would be hurt. I could hug Alex but not him. Why was that anyway? An awkward silence filled the car. It was very awkward turtle. "Hey dad." I asked as we pulled up into the driveway.

"Yes."

"Can I go round Peetas tomorrow after school?" He looked me and sighed.

"Sure. Whatever." he got out of the car. I followed him and gave him a hug, willing myself not to recoil from fear. He pulled away and walked inside smiling. I went straight up to my room, and sat on my bed breathing in and out deeply. I eventually calmed down, and I lay down on my bed. Surprisingly, I was tired even after sleeping nearly all day.

"Scarlett!" Alex yelled, waving inasnely. I laughed at how stupid he looked, and made my way over to him. He was stood there with Peeta, who also gave me a small wave, before goin off to talk to some other friends. "So are you coming round tonight?" I nodded, smiling at him through my hair. He narrowed his eyes. "How much sleep did you get last night?" I looked down.

"Not much." I mumbled, like a child being told off. He sighed and pulled me into a hug. I couldn't help but notice how I relaxed at his touch, instead of freaking out and becoming so tense it could take me hours to calm down sometimes.

"Sleep is important for growth blah blah blah. I'l meet you here after school." He walked off into the main building. The rest of the day was boring. Nothing exciting happened at all. When I wasn't with Alex, I was silent and shy. I could barely answer questions in lessons without being terrified. When school ended, I met Alex and we walked back to his. I had to be back at mine at 9:00 that night, and I could tell Alex was pleased.

"So what are we gonna do?" I asked, sitting down on the sofa. He shrugged.

"My parents won't be here till tomorrow. So we can do anything you want." He did something odd with his arms and I frowned.

"One question. Are you high?" He laughed and shok his head.

"Nope. Just happy. I solemnly swear never to do drugs." he held up his hand doing that weird finger thing scouts do. I started laughing and then froze as a sound broke through the air. A key turning in the lock. Alex frowned. "Give me a minute." he walked out, as I tried to control my breathing. It couldn't be him right? It was just too much of a coincidence.

"Alex!" A little girl screamed. I heard Alex greet her, and then a womans voice.

"Mum wheres Colin?" I heard Alex ask.

"I'm right here." That voice. It chilled my right to the bone. It was the voice of my kidnapper.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh... a cliffhanger. And now some words.

Song of the day: Misguided Ghosts by Paramore. Jizz to it my friends.

VOTE

COMMENT

FAN

:P