Chapter 8: Phantasmagoria

"Oh, darling, what is your little self doing 'round these parts?"

"Eheh.. well, er... I'm not sure, I'm just exploring.." 

"That so?"

I wasn't sure what was going on at first. Were they initiating conversation? Or was it something more? 

Based on the woman's tone of voice, I felt.. uneasy. Like she was hiding something or had ill intentions. I couldn't put my finger on it. Her melancholy voice could seduce anyone.

But I knew I had to keep Socket away from her. From that siren. One person she wouldn't fool is me, I wouldn't go into her traps.

"Socket, bud, come on, we better find a place to rest for the night," I stated, gently grabbing his arm to pull him away.

"Oh, dear me, I'm sorry, is he your brother or something?" She asked me, smiling politely. I could tell it was a smile of annoyance, her voice was mocking me.

I took a moment to take in her physical description, (just in case.)

She had pure black eyes similar to Socket, with a few black circles around the sides of her mouth.

Her skin was ashen, a few scars around her waist, and a purple.. squid? octopus? on her head, seeming like hair.

I furrowed my eyebrows, pulling Socket closer to me.

"No, madam, these two are my friends."

"Helloe lady!!" Susie waved, swinging her legs around as I still had her picked up in my hand. The woman waved back at her sweetly.

"If you'll excuse us, we'll have to go," I said sternly, dragging Socket by his scarf while my facial muscles forced a smile.

"Hey!! At least let me get her number or something!" Socket nagged, waving his arms around like a child. Some people were giving me weird looks, and I couldn't blame them...

"Here you go, you cute little thing." The woman handed Socket a piece of paper, fixing his hat that was falling off his head with a wink. She left right after, swaying her hips.

..Did she just flirt with Socket? I wasn't mad, nor did I have a problem with it.

But we couldn't afford to trust random people in this empire until we're used to this place. There's a reason people don't visit this empire anymore.

Socket didn't seem to care, he just softly waved at her while his cheeks were a bright pink, I could tell by his expression and body language that his heart was probably about to beat out of his chest. 

He's already head-over-heels, great...

"I liked her, maybe we can be friends!!" Susie said enthusiastically, a little sparkle in her eyes as she watched the woman leave. "Didya catch her name, Sock?"

"Don't call me that! And yeah, I did, her name is Sumi! Isn't that such a pretty name?"

"Yeah well, mines prettier!" 

"Big-headed wyn.."

"Sarcastic changeling!!"

And they continued to bicker, even when we left the place. They don't quit.

It was funny, though, they came up with a  LOT of insults.. it kind of concerned me on how creative they can be.

Eventually, we found a place to rest for a while, so you know, we don't end up on the streets. I had to pay (like always), though I didn't mind.

We all fell asleep peacefully.

Until the morning, when we were woken up.

Jeez, it was.. 8 in the morning!? Who would be up THIS early in the morning playing trumpets?

Socket and Susie woke up after me, as well.

"uGHhHHh.. what's going on now?" Susie asked us with an annoyed tone, scratching her head.

"You think we'll know what's-" Socket yawned. "-going on?"

I opened the curtains, the bright sun bothering the other two gremlins. I was very surprised to see a line of people, no, a crowd of them around a path. They all seemed to be either bowing or seeming excited to see something. Or.. someone, perhaps?

I instantly felt a rush of aura wave through, while a man walked down a path. He had the woman from the night before behind him, like she was walking behind as a sign of respect. The man has long white hair in a braid, reaching his pants. His eyes were a pale blue, his other eye having a deep scar. He was wearing fancy prince-like clothing, with the horns and ears of a bull.

Hold on.

White hair.

Bull.

Pale blue eyes.

Those are the features of... Alexander!

"Get up from bed, you two! We found him!" I shouted, quickly getting dressed.

Susie and Socket looked at each other in confusion, then got ready as well. They were in pajamas, but I dragged them downstairs either way. Socket tripped along the way downstairs, but I and Susie kept him from falling.

I sprinted as fast as I could toward the path, pushing some people and apologizing for doing so. I finally reached him, the one we had been looking for!

"Alexander! Ale-"

I was stopped by two... guards, it seemed, keeping us from going any further.

Socket gave them a sour look, his face scrunching up in annoyance as he crossed his arms. "Hey, that's our FRIEND, you know!?"

"Friend or not, he's busy."

"That's not fair!"

"We're only following orders."

"Some stupid orders I'm hearing!"

Surprisingly, Sumi turned back, going up to us as the guards let her pass through without a complaint.

"It's alright, those are guests of ours. We met the other night."

"But, miss-"

"It's alright, seriously." She reassured them, smiling widely at us. "I thought you guys left! Though it's great to see you three again."

I doubt it was the three of us. She was staring at Socket while speaking to us the entire time, after all.

"Yeah, eheh.. good to see ya too.."

I let them be, still pushing through the citizens of the empire to reach Alex. I could deal with Socket and his crush later.

"Alexander! It's me, Eliott!"

He stopped in his tracks, slowly turning his head back to me.

And he didn't say anything.

Nothing. Nothing but a.. disgusted look. His furrowed eyebrows, the way his mouth slightly opened as if to say something, but he didn't say a word. He didn't even need to say anything, no, that face was all I needed.

He didn't want us here, he didn't even need to be saved.

He wasn't kidnapped or forced to do anything.

He came here willingly.