Chapter 7: The Empire's People

The empire seemed very lively, which is interesting. My empire was very peaceful with friendly folk, some working on crops or doing their job, some talking to friends or family, or some just having fun and enjoying life. 

In this empire, it seemed quite different. And not really in a good way, either. Some people were arguing, while others started fights with a circle of people surrounding them, encouraging them for it to keep going. 

A look of concern and worry washed across my face, I didn't know whether to interfere or not. My gut told me to at least help a bit, so...

"Ah, ehm, pardon me, what's going on here?" I asked, making sure to keep Susie and Socket from going anywhere and getting lost or out of my sight.

"None of your business, screw off." 

"Yeah, go back to wherever you came from, gadfly." 

..Gadfly?! Me?? Do they mean ME?! 

My jaw had dropped, and my eyes also widened in surprise at what they just called me. I didn't even give any criticism to them, that insult made no sense!! 

More teens and adults pushed me to go in front, snickering and laughing at the insult as the fight resumed. Socket, seeming infuriated, wasn't going to let that happen by his standard. 

"If he's a gadfly then you're a snowflake because it sure doesn't seem like you can take any kind of criticism!" He huffed, slapping my hand away. I quickly tried to stop him, whispering to him;

"No, no, what are you doing?! Let's just go, it's fine!"

"Yeah, you're just sensitive and thin-skinned!" Susie also chimed in, adding more to Socket's statement. 

"HEY! Thin-skinned and sensitive are the same thing!"

"Uh, that's because you're extra sensitive!"

I quickly dragged both of them, chuckling nervously as I put my hands over their mouths. "I'm so sorry about them, they didn't mean it,-" I uncovered their mouth. "-RIGHT?"

"Heck yeah, we did!" Susie laughed, Socket snickering alongside her. I covered their mouths again, bowing in apology.

"Pl...Please excuse us, our deepest apologies!" I stammered, quickly running out of there while Susie and Socket gave a sour look. One day into visiting here, we already gave a bad impression...

~Small time skip~

I looked at the sky which was turning dark already. I tried to get Susie and Socket's attention,

"Guys? It's going dark, we should head back."

"Huh? We can't go back now! Plus, it'll be the middle of the night when we go back!" Susie nagged, puffing her cheeks.

"Please? Can't we stay a bit longer, it won't hurt to stay here a day or two!" Socket pleaded, both him and Susie trying to convince me, now.

I sighed, admitting defeat.

"Ouh, uh, we should go there!" Susie pointed to a building, its lights and music exploding out of it. I wasn't sure, but before I could even disagree, Susie already ran there. And of course, Socket had to follow.

"Oh, God.."

"Woaaaah!!" I heard the both of them say in awe, their eyes shining with excitement. I held them close to me so they don't get lost in the crowd of people. They were dancing, talking, drinking.. hold on...

WAS THIS A BAR-?!

"Hellouuu! Wanna be friends?"

"..I'm a criminal."

"UwaHhh, what does that mean?"

"Susie, no!" I dragged her back, picking her up easily with one hand while she squirmed around, trying to break free while she puffed her cheeks angrily. I didn't care as long as she was safe. I apologized to the man Susie had talked to, giving a slight bow of apology as I moved away from him. 

I tried turning to Socket, who was supposedly next to me, yet he wasn't there. I facepalmed and groaned in annoyance, while Susie didn't notice and continued to wave to strangers around us. Now I had to find Socket in a giant crowd of people, like finding a needle in a haystack. 

And it hit me, realization. A gut-wrenching feeling I could sense in my stomach, my face going a bit pale. 

Both he nor Susie aren't very.. smart. Or, no, that seems rude. They're too trustworthy of other people. While Susie just doesn't understand most things, Socket will do risky stunts to get others' approval.

..Hey, that kind of sounds like.. never mind. The point is, someone could be using him right now, and putting him in danger.

I began to panic, gripping Susie by her shirt tighter and starting to look for Socket as quickly as I could, pushing through some people along the way (and apologizing, of course..)

"Sorry, excuse me, sorry- pardon me!"

("What is your problem?!")

("Watch it!")

Ah, finally, there he was!

..And he's- with another person?