Gavi - Love Of My Life Part 2

Memories of the week we spent together came flooding back to me. It was ages ago, but suddenly it feels like it was just yesterday.

"You do remember me," he says with a soft smile.

"How could I forget you? You were my best friend for those two weeks."

"Well, you did kind of forget him," Pedri adds laughing.

I playfully nudge his leg, laughing too.

"I should have known it was you." I say, remembering our last few days together. "Actually, the last thing that he even said to me before we left, was that the next time I see him, he'd be playing for Barcelona." I say facing Pedri.

"And I was right," Gavi adds with a smirk.

"So, my best friend and my girlfriend, knew each other before I met either of you?" Pedri adds.

"No," Gavi replies. "We didn't just know each other. We were inseparable." Gavi and I make direct eye contact and I'm reminded of every second that we spent together that summer. "She used to even sneak into the boy's cabin at night to stay in my bed because the girls were always so mean."

I started to laugh, remembering all the times I struggled to climb through the window of their cabin. He even swapped beds with someone, so that he could get the top one by the window, making it easier for me to sneak in and out.

Pedri's smile fades slightly, "Great, now I'm the third wheel."

I laugh at his comment, breaking the eye contact with Gavi. I kiss Pedri on the cheek and place my hand on his leg, hoping he doesn't feel uncomfortable by this new information. His smile returns and when I go to look back at Gavi, his jaw is now clenched, not paying attention to either of us.

"What were you even doing at science camp Gavi?" Pedri asks.

"Since I was so focused on playing football when I was younger, my parents thought it would be a good idea for me to experience other things, see if I liked that more." Gavi replies, focusing on his food.

"How did you two even become friends? You guys don't seem like the type that would get along." Pedri asks, directing his question at me this time.

"Well, on the first day we both got made fun of a lot, because we didn't really catch on as fast as the other kids," I say laughing. Gavi finally lifts his head and laughs as well, remembering everything that we went through. "We were the slow ones, and we decided to stick together and have fun instead of letting them ruin our summer."

"Well, that's hard to believe," Pedri says squeezing my hand that's still on his leg.

"I know right, I was so much smarter than them anyway. I was just having a rough week," Gavi says, rolling his eyes.

"Not you," Pedri says laughing. "I'm talking about the chemical engineering student next to me," he tilts his head in my direction.

"Chemical engineering?" Gavi's face drops. "What the hell does that even mean?" he adds and Pedri and I laugh. "When did you get smart?"

"Well, that summer you joined the Barca academy after realizing that science wasn't for you. I spent my time studying. I wanted to prove them all wrong, and I did."

"Well, at least that camp worked out for one of us."

"I'll be right back," Pedri says, excusing himself to go to the bathroom.

"Are you going to tell him?" Gavi asks.

I turn my attention back to him, his eyes still shining as bright as they did nearly ten years ago.

"Tell him what?" I ask, knowing exactly what he's talking about.

He doesn't reply. Only a mischievous grin on his face making my heart race even faster than it was before.

Everything that we told Pedri about that summer was true, but what we failed to mention, was the fact that we both had a massive crush on each other. Probably even more. The night before we left we even had a fake wedding with matching rings we made for each other. When we were leaving the next day, his last words to me were in fact that I'd see him playing for Barcelona one day. But after that he said that, he added that he'd find me and we'd get married for real.

We were so young, it just felt like a fantasy at the time. In the years that followed, I moved on with my life, not giving too much of thought to the boy who said he would marry me at 9 years old. But here is, sitting right in front of me.

"There's nothing to tell him Gavi, we were children," I reply.

"I don't see the love of my life for 9 years and then you pretend like it was nothing. And you're dating my best friend. That's just cruel y/n," he says with that smile still plastered on his face.

"I was not the love of your life, we were kids."

"Sure, if that makes you feel better," he replies with a wink.

Out of nowhere, Pedri appears back at our table, asking if we're ready to leave.

The drive back was quiet. Pedri obviously didn't notice the tension, as his hand rested on my leg. I caught glimpses of Gavi in the backseat through the sideview mirror, smiling when he caught me staring.

Pedri left me at my place first. I opted to not go to his house today, knowing I wouldn't be able to act the same way around him. I go up to my apartment after the boys leave, change into something comfortable and take a much needed nap.

I woke up to the sound of someone knocking on my door. It was quite late, darkness overtaking the night's sky. I make my way to the door wondering who it could be. Pedri doesn't usually come over unannounced.

I open the door and see Gavi standing there, a nervous expression on his face.

"What are you doing here? Is everything okay?" I ask, wiping the tiredness from my eyes.

He takes a few steps towards me as I take a step back each time. He's now inside my apartment and shuts the door behind him.

"Gavi?" I ask confused.

My confusion is only met by him gently placing a kiss on my lips. My head can't comprehend the events unfolding in front of me. I just stand there frozen, unable to speak. He stands there silently as well, looking too scared to do anything else.

As he opens his mouth to say something, I now return the favour, needing to feel his lips on mine again.