Pedri - Always Been You

"It's open," I yell after hearing a knock at the door. My sister Eve is coming to pick me up for our monthly girls' day.

However, my peaceful start to the morning was disrupted by a very emotional Pedri. Every time that him and his girlfriend, Elena, get into an argument, he finds himself running to me for advice.

We've been friends for years, and I'm actually really happy to see him being able to confide in me, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't hate every second of it. I've had a crush on Pedri ever since we met, but since his career took off, I've set up camp in the friend zone.

I could never turn him down every time he showed up at my door in tears. It killed me to see him in such a toxic relationship, but it hurt even more knowing he'd never choose to leave.

"Oh, Pedri. I didn't know you were going to be here," my sister says as she walks in.

"I was just leaving. Have fun today," he says, giving me a hug. He picks up his phone from the coffee table, and Eve takes his place on the couch next to me when he leaves.

"Is this really still going on between the two of you?" She asks. I sigh in defeat, tears starting to pool in my eyes.

"There's nothing going on. I'm just trying to be a good friend." I say, getting up from the couch.

"You are a good friend. Too good if you ask me."

I quickly wipe away a tear that slipped, before Eve could see anything.

"Y/n, you can't keep being there for him if it's hurting you. It's his choice to stay with her. He knows exactly what he signed up for. You can't help someone who doesn't want to be helped." She adds.

I slam my fist on the kitchen counter in frustration. "Eve, it's not that, and you know it." I say, facing her.

"I'm sensing a bit of anger here." She says, trying to lighten the mood.

I let myself smile at her words. Her horribly timed sense of humour always calms me down.

"I'm not angry. It's just frustrating."

"Let it out, y/n, I'm here to listen to you this time," She says.

"I mean, how blind can he possibly be. We've known each other for years. I was there before he even signed for Barcelona." I begin, sitting on the kitchen stool, facing her.

"He used to show up at home all the time, just to hang out, or he'd even call me at all funny hours. Now, every time he speaks to me, it's about her. I'm the one that consoles him every time she cheats, I'm the one that gives him advice after every argument, I'm the one that gives him ideas of what gifts to buy her."

"I literally am his shoulder to cry on," I say, pointing at my top that's been stained with his tears from earlier.
More tears start to fall, but I don't stop them this time.

"All he does is complain to me about he she demands that he posts pictures of them together or buy her gifts from more high-end brands."

I sigh in defeat, wiping away the last tear from my cheek.

"That's not even what bothers me. I'll always be here for him. How could I not be. But it's the fact that he's constantly choosing her instead that kills me every time."

"Have you tried telling him how you feel?" Eve asks as I stand up.

"Yeah, because that would go so well," I nearly laugh at her idea.

"Hey, Pedri. I'm tired of seeing you with someone who doesn't deserve you. I think you should be with me instead," I say, mocking her idea.

"Perfect, now just say that to his face." She replies, laughing.

"Forget about all of this," I say, grabbing my phone. "We have a nail appointment to get to. I really don't want to talk about this anymore."

"Fine, but I still think you should say something." She says, getting up from the couch and following me to the door.

"Not happening, Eve," I say as I open the front door.

I'm stopped in my tracks when I see Pedri looking right at me. His eyes are glossed over, and I feel my heart drop.

"I uh...I forgot my jacket." He says, pointing to it on the kitchen counter.

I look over at it as I'm overcome with embarrassment.

"I'll wait for you in the car." Eve says, walking past us.

"How much of that did you hear?" I ask. I start fidgeting with my fingers and staring at the ceiling, too embarrassed to even try and look at him.

"Enough," he replies. I'm immediately pulled into his warm embrace. His arms go around my waist as I throw mine over his shoulders.

I eventually break away from the hug, knowing this moment can't last forever.

"I'm sorry," he begins to speak as he wipes away a tear from my cheek.

"No, don't apologize. You were just talking to me about your feelings, and I guess I just overreacted a bit -"

My words are cut out by his lips crashing into mine. I melt into the kiss, savoring every moment of it. I hope this moment never ends, but when it does, I never want to forget the feeling of his soft lips against mine and the warmth of his body holding me close.

We pull away to catch our breaths, our eyes not moving away from each other's.

"I'm sorry for not seeing you sooner," he says as a tear rolls down his face.

I wipe it away, forcing myself to give him a warm smile, hoping it will push the tears back.

"But I get it now. It's always been you." He berries his head in the crook of my neck as I struggle to find the right words.

We stay like this for a while, a peaceful silence falling on us. He pulls back away from me and says, "You're too quiet. Please say something."

"I don't know what to tell you," I reply, now getting a hold of my emotions.

"Tell me that I'm not too late." He replies bluntly.

"You're not," I say, smiling at the ground. "Today's just been a lot."

"Yeah, I know," he says, looking down at me, eyes full of sorrow. "Why don't you go out with your sister? When you get back, we can talk about it."

I nod, knowing that now more than ever, I need our girls' day out.

I take a few steps back and grab his jacket from the kitchen counter, pushing it against his chest, "I believe this is what you're missing."

"And so much more," he says, cupping my face and gently kissing me one more time.