𝐓𝐖𝐎: 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒈𝒆𝒕𝒂𝒘𝒂𝒚 𝒄𝒂𝒓

𝙼𝙰𝚁𝙲𝙷 𝟷𝟽𝚝𝚑, 𝟷𝟿𝟼𝟹

ELLA FOUND HERSELF HIDING BEHIND A BUILDING A COUPLE BLOCK AWAY FROM THE HOSPITAL. She had been avoiding cop cars like they were monsters under her bed, but she had managed to get away. She crept forward, but got startled when she heard someone coming her way. She hid behind a trash bin, but heard voices she recognized.

"Alright, we can't stay here long. They're gonna be looking for us."

Another voice responded, "The cops or those large Scandinavian fellas with guns?"

"Both."

"Diego!" She popped up from her spot, forgetting that she was sort of trying to be secretive. She just knew she wasn't alone anymore. "Lila!"

"OH SHI-" Diego jumped up and turned in a fight stance before shutting himself up. "On my gosh. You can't do that!" He scolded her.

However, Lila didn't seem phased, "Oh, little one!" She ran over to her and ruffled her hair up. "You made it out, huh? Knew you could take care of yourself." She turned to the only male there, "See Diego? We're both more than capable."

"Yeah, yeah, yeah." He muttered before nodding at Ella. He wouldn't show it, but he was happy she made it out of the hell hole. He had only a fraction of an idea of what she had been through, but he knew that she had been through much, much, worse than he had. "Nice to see you again, Ella."

"Thank you." She smiled, warming both the hearts of Diego and Lila.

Diego eyed something behind them and took off running. He climbed a dumpster and directed his attention to the clothing line. He began taking clothes off and Ella knew what he was doing.

"What are you doing?"

"Well," Diego replied sarcastically, "I'm not gonna get very far dressed like a lobotomy case." 

"You mean, we won't get very far."

"Oh!" She gasped. "Get me the green dress, please!"

Diego saw that it was down the line a bit, but took his time in tossing the clothes to Lila before tossing her the dress. She caught it and admired the fabric – the green was muted and had a picnic cloth pattern and an added belt connected to it that was the same color. Green had always been her favorite color – although the specific green was a little brighter than the one she had in her hands.

"Look, I appreciate your help," As Diego spoke, Ella took her spot in a dark corner to change from her white clothing into her dress. It was a little chilly that night, but she spotted some high knee white socks with little flowers embroidered on the top that had fallen from the clothing line. Maybe it didn't fit the ensemble, but she would be comfortable. "But now, we...oh." She didn't know why he stopped talking, but continued to change anyway.

"Now we go our separate ways."

"Why?"

He sighed, exasperated. "Because they're going to be looking for us. Together. Maybe not little Ellie over there, but definitely you and I. Sticking together only endangers her. We stand a better chance on our own."