• Perfect Storm • | 34 |

December

December

*Flashback*

I walk through the door of the house that I've never once in my life called home. I've never had a home, never knew what one was. James always told me I was his home and vice versa.

But I want a family, a normal, happy family. The face I've come to be terrified of looks at me with soulless eyes as James shuts the door behind him.

"So," he starts, never loosening his hard gaze on me. "I got a call, from your teacher. Said she was concerned." he slurs over his words, clearly drunk but I mean when is he not? Trick question.

"So you've been blabbing off to your school that I abuse you? Well, news flash you spoiled brat, I only give you what you deserve." he does that a lot, calls us spoiled even though we don't have anything. We wear the same three outfits every day and people have noticed.

"You took the only person I loved away from me, you deserve death. You should be thanking me for keeping you knuckleheads alive." he raises his voice and gets up from the couch.

J takes the initiative to step in front of me to block me from our father's wrath.

What he does to us on a daily basis is something no child should go through. I'm only 7 and J is 10, we're kids and we've suffered so much in a short amount of time.

"You think I won't hit you too? Big brother to the rescue, huh? If anything this is all your fault. You put your brother through all of this. All because you made my wife sick. Your pathetic." he pushes J out of the way and he hits his head on the corner of the glass tv stand causing blood to gush out of his head.

I try to run and help him but our father grabs me by my shirt collar and starts repeatedly punching me in the face. I feel my face burn as a thick liquid pours from the cuts.

"How dare you tell anyone what I do with my children. What happens in this house is my fucking business, no one else, do you understand me, you punk?" he yells but he's still hitting me so I couldn't answer even if I wanted to.

"Stop," J screams and pulls at his shirt to get him away from me but he wouldn't budge. "Stop, please it was me. I told the teacher. Stop, please." he starts crying and hitting the side of our father's arm.

I feel myself drifting off and then he stops. He drops me and I fall to the floor, limp. He looks down at me with disgust. "You guys are staying home tomorrow. Try this shit again and I won't stop." he walks away and J comes to my side cradling my face.

He pulls me into his chest and cries into my shoulder. "I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry."

Me too.

*End of Flashback*

I can't move but the thoughts in my head rush all over the place. I can't seem to focus on anything. He has her and it's all because of me. If I wouldn't have brought her into all of this she would be fine.