43 - Aleksander

It took only a couple of days for news of King Maxim's death to reach them, along with the bounty for Yelena Lebedev and her daughter Alyona Orlovesky.

Speaking of Orlovesky...

Stefan's hand had been stripped down to the bones, the pieces stored in a jar for when Yelena arrived. He hadn't decided which of his loyalists would get it yet, perhaps whoever helped him defeat the Blood Witch. Then again, Yelena was an amplifier herself, and he knew that his new loyal Grisha would absolutely kill for the opportunity to take her power for themselves. It made him wonder, was Alyona an amplifier like her parents? It was more than likely.

The daughter was an interesting one, and he hadn't yet decided exactly what to do with her, but it would all come in time.

For now, they need only wait. He had sent his correspondence to Prince Vasily, telling him that progress at the Fold was slow. It had been hindered by an attack from Commander Orlovesky, and Aleksander had warned the Prince that if the Commander was going rogue, there was a potential that the General had too.

Not long after, another letter had arrived from the prince, thanking Aleksander for his honesty and the warning. He told Aleksander of the General's betrayal and disappearance, warning him that she might be after him. It was all the confirmation Aleksander needed.

Now, waiting in Kribirsk, he had assumed command of the town, after the Eryk had met an unfortunate death. Almost all of the original Grisha had passed away now, if not from battle, or natural causes then they had certainly been helped along by Aleksander and his loyalists.

That morning they had received a letter from Prince, no, King Vasily saying that he was on his way, and would arrive in Kribirsk in less than two days. He warned Aleksander that there was still no sight of the traitorous General and to keep an eye out.

Aleksander wasn't worried.

With Stefan already dead, Aleksander had everything he needed to bring Yelena to her knees before he killed her. It saddened him to think she would not join him, but he had lived a long time before her without her help. He would live a long time after.

Standing atop one of the watch towers, he thought about that...a life without Yelena. Would anyone else ever fill the role she had filled? Would he ever find anyone to accept all that he was?

Clouds shifted in front of the late afternoon sun, and Aleksander felt a shiver down his back.

He turned, shooting the Cut through the air and slicing into the wall as Yelena rolled along the floor towards him. She slammed a punch into his jaw and landed a kick in his chest before she reached for him with her power only to frown when she could not do anything.

'Hello Yelena,' Aleksander hissed as he got to his feet, clutching his stomach until the pain disappeared. 'Meet my friends Benedikt and Vladik, some of your most talented students if I recall correctly.'

'Traitors,' she hissed at them.

'You are the traitor, King Slayer,' Vladik spat. He kept his hands raised, keeping a fix on Aleksander's body so Yelena could not do any significant damage.

She had always relied far too much on her power, never dedicating the time to weapons practice. It would be her downfall.

'A bold move,' Aleksander said, drawing her attention back to him. 'Even for the Blodhäxa.'

She snarled at him, 'You did this.'

'You turned them against me first,' he shrugged and then lunged forwards, slashing at her with his knife.

Unfortunately, it bounced harmlessly off her forearms as she parried his blows. The navy coat she wore hung in tatters, revealing the intricate silk kefta beneath.