38 - Yelena

As the other Grisha leaders returned to the council room, Yelena had excused herself, running to the bathroom. After emptying her stomach, she sank to the floor. Everything was happening too fast. And why on earth had Alyona been escorting him? Yelena had almost killed him just for seeing her.

Stefan knocked on the door, "Yelena?"

"Mama? Can we come in?"

Yelena felt a sob rise in her throat, why hadn't she killed him? It wasn't like Maxim would punish her for it. Galina would be upset, but if she tried to get revenge, Yelena wasn't above putting her down too. That ring...

She didn't love him, not anymore. Stefan was her husband, she had chosen him and she loved him. Stefan and Alyona were her family, as were her Grisha. There was nothing she wouldn't do to protect them. 

Even so, the thought nagged at her. If she killed him, would she be killing their only chance to get rid of the Fold?

"Mama, please?" Alyona knocked again.

Yelena got to her feet straightening herself out, "Just a minute."

After she had taken a moment to collect herself, she opened the door. Stefan had a knowing look and Alyona pulled her into a hug. Saints, she was the same height as Yelena now, and would likely grow even taller. Yelena blamed Stefan and his enormous height.

"I'm sorry if I upset you," Alyona said into her shoulder. "I didn't want to be left out."

Yelena gave her a stern look, "I need you to trust me. I planned to tell you everything, just...not now." She brushed her fingers though Alyona's golden-brown curls. It was times like today when she was glad her daughter looked more like Stefan than her. Maybe Aleksander hadn't seen their resemblance?

Stefan watched her carefully, "Everything?"

Yelena frowned, "That is what I said."

"Of course," he kept his face calm, but Yelena got the feeling something was off.

"Come on, King Maxim sent us desserts! You're going to miss out," Alyona tugged at her mother's sleeve like she was a child and not a full-grown soldier.

"Go ahead, Alyona," Stefan kissed her forehead, "We will be out soon."

Alyona pouted but did as she was told.

Stefan crossed his arms and Yelena realised that if he didn't already know, he at least suspected who Aleksander was. "Explain?"

Yelena headed back out into their bedroom, which had once been Aleksander's. She poured herself a drink and offered one to Stefan, "You're going to need it."

He sighed but took the drink, sitting with her on the couch as she explained how they faked his death. Stefan listened, not interrupting her as she told him about their conversation moments before, how he had confessed his love to her, and thought he had a chance for them to get back together.

When she finished Stefan nodded and downed his drink in one go, "Do you still love him?"

"No," she couldn't believe he would ask her that now. "No, Stefan, I chose you. I choose you, and Alyona."

He nodded, "I believe you. But why isn't he dead?"

Yelena sighed, "Because...what if he can fix the Fold? I have to try. If not for his sake, for Ravka's."

Stefan stood, pacing back and forth as he rubbed at his face. "If he finds out about us, or Alyona...what would he do?"

Yelena shrugged, "Something terrible I'm sure. I haven't seen him in two decades, but I can't really imagine that he's changed all that much."