37 - Aleksander

He was marched back through the halls to the Little Palace and was given a room and a clean set of clothes. He would not receive a kefta until he proved his worth in training.

It didn't matter, he told himself. He had time. He had forever.

That evening, he was brought food in his room, and told to eat there. Safer for him, they said. From his room, he could see the Grisha pavilions around the lake, as well as his mother's tiny hut. She had come to help him today. Perhaps she thought he could be saved after all. He looked closer though, and saw people emerging from it, one in a red kefta, one in black.

They hurried back into the palace and Aleksander wondered what Yelena had been doing there when there was a knock at his door. Two Heartrenders stood waiting before him, with Feodora behind them.

Another gorgeous Heartrender stood beside her, this one with light brown curls and hazel eyes. She scrunched up her nose, scrutinising him as if he wasn't even there, "Do you think his father looked like that?"

"No, he was much more evil-looking," Feodora rolled her eyes. "Come on Darkling junior, the General wants to see you."

As they walked, Feodora gave a panicked glance to the girl beside her, "Wait, are you supposed to be here? Your parents–"

"Should have let me know what the hell is going on. As they haven't, I have had to take steps of my own," she winked, throwing her golden curls over her shoulder.

Feodora groaned, "I'm so dead."

"Stop being a baby," the girl punched Feodora in the arm light-heartedly. Something about her was familiar, though strange. He couldn't quite put his finger on it. Had he met her before?

They headed through the halls toward the dining room and then through the grand doors to what was once his private chambers. The Grisha council sat together, the air solemn as he entered.

Yelena sat at the head of the table, but her face whitened when she saw the two girls who had escorted him there.

"Thank you, girls, you are dismissed," Yelena was trying and failing to keep calm.

"Like hell," the gorgeous Heartrender stepped forward, "You always let me in on these meetings and plans, I don't understand what's chang–"

"Alyona!" the blond Heartrender stood, his gaze fierce. The girl shut up immediately.

"Sorry," she sheepishly turned, stealing a glance at him before she and Feodora disappeared out the door. Aleksander frowned, his mind ticking as he tried to figure out the dynamic.

Yelena took a sip from the cup before her, and he didn't miss the shaky breath she took.

"Aleksander," she sighed. Then looked to the others, "Leave us."

His heart began to race as the others stood, some arguing, others simply moving outside. Until finally, only the Heartrender and Yelena remained. "Thank you, Stefan, but I meant everyone."

Stefan frowned at her, and she gave him a pointed look. He left the room, giving Aleksander a hard stare.

Aleksander deflated slightly under Stefan's intense gaze, the way any young man would. He hated this weakling act.

Yelena didn't react as he dropped to his knees, his entire body betraying him as she forced his muscles to convulse and contract. He felt her pressing on his stomach, his lungs, his heart.

"I should have killed you."

He screamed as he felt his bones snapping and then being fused back together, his blood heating.

Then it stopped and she squatted down beside him, "Why did you do it? I had a plan! If you had only listened to me!"

He sucked in air, meeting her eyes, "I'm sorry."

She frowned. Of all the things she had expected him to say, that was clearly not one of them.

"I'm sorry," he coughed, pushing up onto his elbow, "I'm sorry I didn't listen, and I'm sorry I hurt our friends. I'm sorry I broke our country in two. I'm sorry that I hurt you." He was close enough to touch her, and she froze as he cupped her face.

"I dreamed of this, every night," he studied her through his teary eyes. "You are more beautiful than I remembered, and the black...looks wonderful on you." She didn't move, her breathing rapid as he rubbed a thumb over her cheekbone, "I know you must be angry with me, but that's okay. I can wait for your forgiveness. For your love. I love you, Yelena. I never stopped. These years away from you and everything we built together have been hard, but I cannot imagine how hard it has been for you. Pretending I was dead, being alone. I'm sorry, but I'm here now. I swear to you that I will find a way to get rid of that thing. I will earn back my place here, and we can work together, can rule side by side, like we always talked about."

Yelena's eyes were wide, and she slowly shook her head, sitting back and clutching her head. "No, you were supposed to... How are you..."

He sat up, moving to pull her in close, but she pulled away. "I can't..."

Hurt as he was, it didn't matter. He nodded, "That's alright." Then he pulled out the box with the ring he had for her, "When you're ready... I want you to know that I am too. I love you and I will do what I must to regain your trust."

Her eyes went wide and she exhaled suddenly as she saw the ring, like the wind was knocked out of her chest. "Aleksander..." she shook her head, but the door opened, and Stefan was there.

Seeing them on the floor together, he raised his hands and Aleksander felt his heart slowing but Yelena stopped him. "I'm alright," she said as he helped her up. "Have him taken back to his room. Ten years."

Aleksander bowed low to her, pocketing the ring swiftly. Ten years, not just to destroy the fold, but to win her back.

**************************************************

Hey guys, thanks for reading! Hopefully you enjoyed, don't forget to vote if you did.

Love you all and see you next time, Miss Birdie xx