21 - Yelena

Yelena shoved all thoughts about Ilya and what they'd done before out of her head. She needed to be focused, even if the only thing she really wanted to do right now was drag him back and finish what they'd started.

Focus!

Yelena had made Aleksander check that the coast was clear before she left his tent, heading to her own. She quickly pulled on a warmer shirt, and pants. Though they felt strange on her body, and were completely inappropriate for a woman, she knew they were far better suited to combat.

She changed into warmer socks and pulled on her boots, and then her kefta. She winced as she saw how rumpled it was, but it was too late to do anything about it now.

Yelena left her tent and found the Grisha already assembling on the northern side of the camp, closest to the battlefield. Already shouts and clangs could be heard as the Fjerdan's fought their way into the First Army camp.

As she strode to the front of the crowd, they all stopped their whining and chatter, standing up straight. She took a deep breath, projecting her voice, "You all know what the original plan was. It will remain mostly the same. Healers, go to the infirmary tent, you will have four Oprichniki with you as guards."

The healers nodded, the selected Oprichniki standing beside them dutifully. Ilya came to stand beside her, and she focused on the crowd before her and the noise of death behind her. Focus.

"The Fabrikators will bring another tent for you to work in and they will assist in mending First Army weapons and armour. Six Oprichniki will go with them."

The Fabrikators were currently packing their large tent, readying to set it up again closer to the First Army camp.

Yelena continued, "Heartrenders, spread out and keep your wits about you. This is not the time for fancy moves or trying to do lots of things at once. Focus yourselves, be quick and be smart." They nodded and sounded their agreements.

Ilya continued, "Inferni, we'll need light and cover. Use the Fjerdan's torches against them. Squallers push them back, and ensure no arrows get close to us. Remember, your bodies may be safe, but your heads are not. Tidemakers, use the river to your advantage. Like the Commander said, be quick and be smart."

Yelena felt her mouth go dry at the thought of them rushing into the fray. She hated herself for stalling them longer, but she did it anyway, asking, "What is the most important thing to remember?"

Some of the Grisha closest her grinned as they all said, "Never hesitate."

Yelena nodded once, and then they were moving. They marched forward in two lines behind Yelena and Ilya.

They weren't far from the battlefield, but Yelena couldn't shake the feeling that she was walking to the gallows.

Ilya remained focused on the scene before them as he said, "Don't take chances out there either. I know you're more powerful than them, but don't show it."

Yelena couldn't believe it, "What? Don't show my power?"

His fierce gaze met hers, "Remember what happened when you took down the wolves? They're Fjerdan, not stupid. They'll figure out what the coloured keftas mean soon enough, and you'll only put an even bigger target on the other Corporalki if they realise how powerful you are. I'm not saying don't use your power, just...be careful."

When he said it like that Yelena felt her heart plummet. Of course. She didn't want to endanger them anymore. Still, she didn't like the thought of...holding back. It was a foreign concept.