33 - Yelena

He re-entered the palace and found Yelena watching him. She wasn't sure what to say.

"You're coming?" he asked, stepping towards the passage.

She had seen death before, and she didn't care about Vladimir, but... "You killed the king."

"It had to be done."

"Not in front of the entire court."

He straightened, "So? What now?"

Yelena couldn't go with him. To do so would be to stand with him, and she could not do that. Someone would have to pay for the king's death, the court would not allow them to simply get away with such an act. Maxim would have to make an example of them or lose his position entirely.

The soldiers out there wouldn't forget this, news of the Darkling who killed the king would spread throughout the country, throughout the world.

"I have to stay, perhaps I can ease things with Maxim," Yelena couldn't meet his eyes.

He stepped closer to her, pulling her to him. Yelena didn't resist, and he lifted her chin to look in her eyes, "It had to be done."

"I know."

She studied his grey eyes, which seemed to be shuttering before her and then he stepped back, "Goodbye Yelena."

Her eyes pricked as he walked away, and she felt as though a chasm had opened up between them.

***

Yelena waited that evening in Aleksander's council chamber. The Little Palace completely empty. Soldiers swept through the place, finally arriving to see her sipping tea in the dying candlelight.

She allowed them to bind her hands and take her to Maxim who sat alone in his private dining room.

"I too was enjoying an evening alone," Yelena sighed as they brought her to him.

He studied the food before him, not eating a bite. Yelena knew he had never been incredibly fond of his father, but to see him killed so brutally...

"So it's done," Maxim sighed finally. Then frowned, "Untie her."

"Your Majesty–"

"The Commander will not hurt me."

Yelena held his gaze, "I'm sorry it happened this way."

Maxim smiled slightly, "You would have preferred a much cleaner death, perhaps an accident?"

So he did know.

"Would have made for a cleaner handover," Yelena scrunched up her nose as she sat across from him, pouring herself a drink.

Maxim sat back, studying her. The servants and soldiers cleared out as he waved his hand.

"Someone will have to pay," Maxim said.

"I don't suppose you'd like to blame Vladimir himself? As a Heartrender, I could certainly testify that being sliced in half is a common occurrence. Though it usually occurs on battlefields," Yelena sipped her drink.

Maxim winced, "The soldiers will not forget what happened. Nor will I."

Yelena watched the prince-turned-king, and he frowned, "No one would dare challenge him, but our people will not be able to stomach having him remain here as a Grisha leader. He must be dealt with."

"You mean killed."

"Though you look not a day over twenty, I know you are nearly twice my age. I know you are not stupid. You knew it would come to this, hence why you stayed."

Yelena didn't respond, so Maxim went on, "You care for him, that much is clear. I can't imagine how you're feeling right now, but I'm sure you already have some sort of plan or at least an idea of how you might avoid..."

"Killing him?"

"Yes."

Yelena sighed, "What's the point? I kill him and fix your problem but turn the Grisha against me."

"I doubt they could ever turn against you," Maxim shook his head. "You don't have to tell me what you do, but know that when you return the Grisha are yours. Of course, I hope that we could still work together, I will be king after all, but I don't wish to be your enemy."

Yelena listed her head as his cheeks heated slightly, "No, I think you'd rather be something else entirely."

He shook his head, "It doesn't matter, you made it clear with my father that you were not interested in such...arrangements. Forgive me, I shouldn't have..."

Yelena laughed, the thought of Maxim having a crush on her was rather hilarious. Then the reality of what they were discussing settled in. "I will...leave tomorrow."

He nodded and Yelena stood, "Maxim?"

"Yes Commander?"

"You will be a good king. I believe in you," Yelena squeezed his arm, and he gave her a small smile.

"I certainly hope so."

*******************

Hello everyone! I hope you enjoyed this weeks update, don't forget to vote if you did. I'll see you all next time :D