20 - Aleksander

Aleksander turned to see Yelena standing at the doorway, her eyes stormy.

They stayed like that for a moment before he took a tentative step forward, "You came."

Her face remained stony, but she dropped her gaze, "I...We might lose them tomorrow."

Of course. He should have known she would have so many other things on her mind tonight. He took another step forward, until there was barely a foot between them, and he took her hands in his, "They know the risk."

"Some of them are children. Younger than me..." She shook her head but didn't pull her hands away.

He stroked a thumb over her knuckles, "You can't protect them forever. They are strong, even without amplifiers. And though you may not see it, they are all desperate for a chance to prove to you how good they are."

Her eyes snapped up to his, questioningly. He laughed, "You taunt and threaten them all you like, and they think that it's because you don't care, but I know you do. I know you're afraid of losing them but think of how much more afraid they would be if they hadn't joined us. If they hadn't been trained and found a new home."

She looked down at their hands, "Do they really think I don't care?"

Aleksander shrugged, "Some of them do. Some of the older ones think you're a moody teenager who's a little too powerful."

Yelena's eyes went wide, completely offended, "They do not... Do they?"

He grinned, the sarcasm in his voice obvious as he said, "Of course not."

Yelena bristled and he laughed, "I'm just playing, even if they think that, they also know that you've worked hard every single day to get us here. They know that you are far more than just a powerful girl."

Aleksander stepped in closer, pulling her to him as he leaned down slowly, giving her time to pull away. She didn't though, her hands snaking their way up his chest to his neck, his hair. He had his arms around her waist, and he slowly brought one hand to her waist, moving up her side. He slowed near her chest, but when she didn't stop him he kept moving up, tracing her breast as he moved towards the buttons of her kefta.

Her own hands moved across his chest, towards his buttons, undoing them with a practised efficiency. Soon enough, their keftas lay discarded on the floor, leaving them in their usual shirts, skirt, and pants.

Then, she stopped, pulling away, "Wait."

He still had his arms around her, and despite her flushed cheeks he could see her worry.

"I don't..." His heart sunk and he cursed himself. Aleksander could almost see his mother out of the corner of his eye, ranting about how he should only ever think with his head. Not his heart. Now he would pay the price for it.

Yelena shook her head trying again to find the words, "I don't want anyone to think that I'm doing this because...because I want... Ugh! I don't even know what I'm trying to say..." She turned her blue eyes to him, as if he knew what she wanted.

He frowned, "You're worried about what the others might think?"

She nodded, "Yes. Yeah. That's it. We're supposed to be their leaders. Not..." Yelena huffed a laugh, "Not silly teenagers doing as they wish."

An anxious pang went through his chest. Teenager. That's what she thought he was. He wanted to tell her. But how? And could he actually do it?

She shook her head, "I'm sorry...I just...The other thing is...I feel like I hardly know you. Your middle name, favourite colour, birthday, your father," She stepped back. "Here I am about to jump into bed with you. Your heart is racing, I'm so sorry."