3 - Yelena

Yelena and Ilya headed downstairs to where Galina – his mother sat sipping tea and looking angrily out of the window.

"Ah, he lives," she said without turning to face them. Yelena saw Ilya glare at her out of the corner of her eye.

"Indeed, though he is yet to thank us," Yelena said pointedly.

Ilya blinked, "Thank you."

Yelena resisted the urge to roll her eyes. Why did he think himself so above her? She had saved his life twice already.

"So, mother?" Ilya said and Galina looked up at him with a cool stare. He froze under her gaze and Yelena had the distinct feeling they were having some sort of silent conversation. Then, the spell broke with Galina waving her hand and turning back to the window. Ilya went on, "This is Yelena and–"

"I know her name," Galina snapped. Yelena had to hide her shocked face. What mother would speak to her own son in such a way?

Ilya didn't look fazed and simply continued on, "She's an amplifier too. I thought we could help train her."

Galina looked back at him; her brows drawn together. Then, she threw her head back and cackled.

Yelena couldn't hide her surprise this time. These two were probably the strangest people she'd ever met. What had she gotten herself into?

Galina turned back to Ilya, her clear grey eyes crinkling, "Oh you foolish boy. A few hours with a pretty girl and you're ready to take on the world. I thought you'd have grown out of your naivete by now.  Perhaps I was the fool."

Ilya clenched his jaw but before he could respond, Yelena stepped forward. "Ilya told me of your power, of your wisdom when it comes to teach Grisha to use their powers. I have spent my whole life her, and while I am grateful for the home I've had, I know that every moment I stay here coddled and safe, our people suffer. Perhaps we are young and naïve and silly to think we could make a difference, but I would rather die trying than waste my life here. If you won't train me, perhaps I'll simply teach myself. No matter, I will find a way."

Galina studied her, and for a moment Yelena thought the woman might hit her. What she did surprised Yelena even more.

Galina huffed and stood up, holding out her hand, "Come."

Yelena froze, not sure of what to expect. A quick nod from Ilya had her striding forward to Galina's outstretched hand. The woman closed a slender hand around Yelena's wrist and Yelena felt a rush of strength and power flow through her, the world coming to life, just as she felt her own power flowing through Galina.

Galina huffed again, "You've got fire, I'll give you that. But no more talking. We train now."

They headed outside, to the back of Yelena's house where they were afforded a little privacy. Galina had Ilya stand in front of Yelena and told her to feel through his body for different things, to become truly acquainted with what they were, what they felt like and most importantly, how they functioned.

Once she knew that, Galina explained, Yelena would be able to tear them apart.

Yelena had frozen then. Tear them apart? Was that what she wanted to do? She looked back to Ilya, who didn't look very happy about being the test subject.

He tilted his head, "You are hesitating. Do you not want to learn?"

"No, I do. It's just...tear them apart?" she said weakly. Yelena wanted to help, to become strong and powerful but the thought of killing, without mercy, without hesitation... It was a lot.

Galina growled, "You think your enemies won't do it to you first?"

Yelena thought back to the Fjerdan's in the clearing. They certainly wouldn't have hesitated, not for a moment. She thought of the Ravkan sheep herders who'd found their camp and tried to attack them. She thought of the legends of the Shu Han kidnapping the Grisha to cut them up to see where their magic hid. No, they wouldn't hesitate, so Yelena couldn't either.