40 - Aleksander

After that, King Maxim was happy to hear how Aleksander had been progressing, and he had been awarded more freedom around the palace.

With the new access and respect, Aleksander spent the next few years preparing.

He learned the names of all the Grisha, he made friends with them, asking about their passions, and listening to their worries. He didn't care, not really, but he wanted them to think he did.

His plan relied on them liking him and trusting him enough to be able to lead them one day. Like he had done all those years ago, he built up a tight group of friends, the most powerful members of each order who would pay any sort of attention to him. He helped them with their power, giving them tips and other pointers to hone their abilities. And amplifiers where his tips were not sufficient

During the second year of his 'training', Alyona finally returned home for the New Year's party. She had mingled with the other Grisha, acting as though she barely even knew Yelena or Stefan. It was only when Stefan invited her to dance that he could finally see their resemblance, and of course their bond.

It was immediately clear how much Stefan cared for his daughter, how much Yelena did too. For most, their soft glances would be missed, but to Aleksander, who had studied Yelena for decades, he could see her love for Alyona. He could see her weakness.

He hadn't forgotten about Stefan's threat, and he could only imagine the hell he would rain down upon Aleksander if he messed with his daughter, but it didn't matter. If all went according to plan, Stefan would be long gone soon enough.

Yelena was the only complication. Though heartbroken, he couldn't bring himself to get rid of her completely. He wanted her to stay by his side, he knew that with the eternities ahead of them, she could learn to forgive him.

When she was finally alone for a moment, Aleksander had introduced himself to Alyona.

She had appraised him with a polite eye, "Hello, I'm Alyona."

"Oh, I already know."

She frowned, and he went on, "It's hard to forget the most beautiful woman in the Little Palace."

Alyona had laughed then, "I thought the General held that title."

Aleksander thought so too, but it didn't matter, "She's a little old for me."

"Right, like that has ever stopped any of the other boys from fantasising about her," she faked vomiting.

He chuckled, "You don't like her?"

Alyona's face shifted, as if catching herself and the familiarity with which she referred to Yelena, "It's not about that. She is my General, and I am here to serve."

"Of course," he nodded. A careful answer, so as not to give anything away. Perhaps her father's spy training had taught her a thing or too. "Would you care to dance?"

She shook her head, "Forgive me, but I'm rather tired actually. The journey was rather long."

"Journey? Where were you stationed?" he asked lightly.

Alyona smiled, "So many questions. You're the junior darkling, no?"

He sketched a bow, shoving down on his annoyance, "The one and only."

"Is it hard?" she asked, and he could see the curiosity beneath her uninterested façade. "I can understand the pressure of a great legacy, but one like yours..."

So she didn't know. Interesting. His plan shifted slightly. Imagine what would happen if he could turn Yelena and Stefan's own daughter away from them. The possibilities...