31 - Aleksander

The next 20 years passed in a blur. Yelena had wanted more action, and so he had allowed her to take on more of the missions he used to go on, visiting the various outposts throughout the years. She saw a great deal of battles and skirmishes on both borders, and the legend of Blodhäxa grew.

Between his own trips around the country when Yelena returned, Aleksander was kept busy dealing with the shambles the king's court had become.

Konstantin's mind was failing, Yelena had told him, but her healers were keeping him comfortable. He was adamant about doing his own work until he was in the grave, and she let him. Vladimir was hardly king material, being as lazy and dumb as a post. The prince struggled to understand the most basic concepts of trade, diplomacy, and accounting. It was all Aleksander could do in the meetings not to tell him to shut up and let the adults speak.

Thinking he was the oldest there at 60 years old, Vladimir treated Aleksander as a young boy, despite him being over twice his age.

It didn't help that he almost never saw Yelena anymore either. Of course they spent time together when they were at court together, but one of them always seemed to be about to leave for Ulensk, or Os Kervo, or Poliznaya.

He missed her, more than he ever thought he could miss a person. Staying at the Little Palace alone simply wasn't the same. It had made him think though. About life with her. He had said that he wanted to marry her and be with her completely. She hadn't said no to him, but she hadn't said yes either. It had shaken him. Did she not love him the same way?

But then she would come home from one of her trips and embrace him with one of her stunning smiles and he would feel like a lovesick puppy all over again. Every night they spent wrapped up together was as wonderful as the first time, and he could never get enough of her.

This time though, he had decided that he would ask her about it again. He was ready. He hadn't told his mother, too tired of her bitter old taunts. It wasn't Yelena though, he could easily see how much his mother loved her fire and her insults. Perhaps she just didn't want him to be happy.

He had been staying at the army base in Sikursk, overseeing border reinforcements when news of King Konstantin's death reached them. Yelena had also written a letter to him, asking for his immediate return. Aleksander could only imagine the chaos the kings death had wrought. Vladimir had been very clear about his position on the Grisha. It had created a rift between him and his son Maxim, who had already become a very proficient lord, having excelled in all his studies through the years. No doubt thanks to his beloved Grisha teachers.

With Maxim's success, it was time for Vladimir's timely accident.

Aleksander arrived back at the palace to find Yelena waiting for him. She looked the same as she had at nineteen, though slightly more mature, her face sharper, her figure more muscular.

He made his way towards her and could see by the graveness on her face how serious it was.

"He's called to meet us this afternoon. Just us." They walked briskly into the office they shared behind the dining hall. A sombre air had filled the palace, and the Grisha's eyes flitted around nervously.

Aleksander snorted softly, "You think he'll try something?"

Yelena's teeth worried her lower lip, "I think he's now the most powerful man in Ravka and the stupidest. Whatever he wants, it won't be good. I spoke with Pavel and Marko, they're already moving Grisha to safe places nearby. We can regroup in Ryevost, or Adena until he has his...you know."

His accident. Aleksander's only regret was that it wouldn't be slow and excruciatingly painful.

"Malina is..." he didn't finish.