27 - Yelena

Over the next ten years, she and Aleksander oversaw the construction of what they had dubbed, the Little Palace.

They had hired the best architects in the world for it, and had consulted their Grisha, to ensure the building was beautiful, functional, and of course, impossible to attack.

Durasts and Alkemi enhanced the materials, strengthening the steel and wood and glass until nothing could break them.

They built enormous workshops for their Materialki, and giant clinics for the Corporalki. Outside, they installed their own lake, and created pavilions for the Etheralki to use. The large space would enable the Squallers, Inferni, and Tidemakers to use their powers openly, without hurting anyone or destroying anything.

They built a grand dining hall, and thousands of rooms for their Grisha to live in. They were allocated stables and servants, and libraries and training grounds.

While Aleksander continued in his role as the General of the Second Army, Yelena became the Grisha representative in King Konstantin's court. She attended meetings with his council and coordinated the Second Army from his side.

They began training the more experienced Grisha as spies, preparing them to enter the courts of Fjerda and Shu Han, to gain more information. Further, a draft was sent out across the country, and Grisha children were sent to live and train at the Little Palace as soon as possible.

It was contentious at first, but many of the parents feared their powerful children anyway and were glad to be rid of them. Yelena didn't mind, she was more than happy to welcome the children into her home, treating them all as if they were her own.

Aleksander felt the same, and they enjoyed making their way through the palace together, eating with their Grisha, watching them learn in their theory lessons, and train with their powers.

Over the years, their military might grew as well, as they built more cannons, and improved upon the Shu's design.

Elitza had thoroughly enjoyed pulling the cannons apart and experimenting with them. Yelena had never seen her friend so enthralled in anything before, they had shared a laugh over it.

The original Grisha army had become true leaders in their own right.

Irina and Eryk had finally married and when they weren't training their Grisha students, were caring for their daughter Aksana. Marko had begun teaching the theory of the Small Science and had a way of getting through to the young children.

Yelena still thought of Pavel as her second in command, but he had begun teaching military strategy to the older students. When he wasn't doing that though, he taught the more advanced Heartrenders. They worked on the more...vicious methods in which a Heartrender could defend themselves. Or inflict pain. As such, he didn't always have time to help her with her many duties.

Yeva taught the Corporalki students both the Heartrenders and Healers. Corporalki students had to choose once they hit twelve which pathway they would continue down. The two branches were equally as important but being a Heartrender was not for everyone. When she had time, Yelena would watch the lessons, and occasionally teach if she had time.

When he wasn't overseeing training and lessons, Aleksander was sent on campaigns with the First Army. They would drive back the Fjerdan's or have Grisha accompany cargo ships that were headed to Ketterdam, near Shu waters. Their Grisha had become indispensable to Ravka's safety, security, and strength.

Though the palace had mostly been completed years ago, they had not yet had a grand opening party, which King Konstantin had suggested that day at the meeting.