thirty-three.

CHAPTER THIRTY-THREE
Hero
June 13th, 1979.

"Daphne?" Fabian's voice echoed from behind her as they laid in the back, darkness surrounded them. "Are you really going?"

"Yes," she said unsure.

Earlier that day, Regulus had come to her flat and asked for help. It turned out, despite being part of the high ones, he had continued to search where he could have hidden the Horcrux. From what he said, it took a long time for Kreacher to let him go through his mind—but he had accepted nevertheless so he could help Regulus.

A cave by the sea was all he saw, but apparently that had been enough.

"I want to go," Regulus said without facing his cousin.
Daphne frowned but nodded, "I reckon we can go but we would need to—"

"No. I want to go tomorrow. Get it done," he mumbled. "Will you come with me?"

Daphne knew she couldn't refuse him anything, besides she had promised to help him. Deep down, Fabian suspected Regulus to know that he had some kind of power over Daphne but at the same time, he seemed to really need the help.

Fabian's arm brought her closer as she laid her head on his chest, "I'm terrified," he admitted quietly, his hand doing circles on her shoulder. "I—I am scared something will happen to you, Daph. Something that may not be reversible..."

"Fab, I will be alright," she murmured gently as she tried to keep a straight tone. "Regulus is bloody talented, I'll tell you that. He knows it all and I trust him."

"With your life?"

"With my life."

"Right," he whispered softly, pecking the top of her head. "Am I still not allowed to come?"

"I'm sorry, I do not think so. Regulus is quite conservative when it comes to family and all that," she chuckled despite the lump in her throat.

Truth was, Daphne was terrified as well. She fought back the tears all day, hoping to find some time alone that night to shed a few tears but it seemed that Fabian couldn't find sleep either. Daphne loathed it--not being able to enjoy her youth and having to be here for everyone. It was somehow tiring.

"I'm scared too," she said minutes later, or hours, she couldn't tell.

"I know," was all he said before Daphne shut her eyes and fell asleep.

By the time the alarm rang, Fabian had cooked breakfast while she had tried to sleep as much as she could. They spent their whole morning together, on the sofa, a cup of tea in their hands as they stayed in silence. They could have talked but none of them felt like it. By twelve o'clock, knocks echoed and both of them knew Regulus was behind the door.

"How touching," Regulus said as he let himself in just to see Fabian and Daphne sharing a hug.

Fabian rolled his eyes, "Black."

"Prewett," he nodded his head at him then focused back on his cousin. "Daphne," he said, a little softer. "I'm waiting for you outside."

"Wait!" Fabian called out for him as he stopped in his tracks, released a breath and turned on his heels so he was facing him. "Good luck out there, Black."