twenty.

CHAPTER TWENTY
Confession In Camden Town
September 4th, 1978.

"My love, are you ready?" Amalthea's voice echoed behind the door as Daphne finished zipping her black dress.

Two months after her birthday and after she saw James. Today, for the first time, since she joined the Death Eaters, she had a meeting. An important one. According to her father and the many letters exchanged with Narcissa in the last few days, the meeting would happen at Malfoy's manor and during daytime. Daphne had gotten the invitation a week ago and hadn't stopped thinking of it ever since, so many questions spiralled in her mind such as—who would be here? Just the ones he trusts or everyone. Why was he meeting only now? Why was she invited this time? Or would she manage to catch a glimpse of Regulus?

"Yes, I am," she finally replied, walking out of her bedroom. "Is it good enough? Dad told me to wear this, but I am not so sure," she admitted.

Amalthea gave her a tight smile before bringing her hand up to her bangs to fix them, "You look perfectly fine, darling. For once, your Father made a good choice," she said, making Daphne snort. "You know, usually...Letty or me are the ones picking his clothes for him. This man wouldn't know how to dress properly either way."

"Oh don't worry, I knew," she answered before taking a long pause. "Mum, do you reckon I'll see Regulus today?"

"Probably so. He has to attend."

Checking her watch, she sighed and turned on her heels to face her Mum, "Well, I think I should go or I might be late," she spoke up as her Mum nodded. "Alright, I'll see you later. I love you."

"I love you, too," she replied, pressing a kiss to her cheek as she watched Daphne walk towards the living room so she could use the floo network.

Arriving immediately in the parlour, she took a second to make sure her dress had no folds and her makeup hadn't gone away with the powder chimney. Voices could be heard on the other side of the Manor. Usually, it was rare to hear so far but Daphne was starting to think that there were more than ten at this meeting. Taking a deep breath, she navigated through the Manor as if she was home—and she could feel how the atmosphere had shifted. Everything felt so...black and dark.

"Oh, Daph," Narcissa's voice pulled her out of her thoughts as she snapped her head towards the familiar voice. Her cousin was strolling down the corridor towards her. "I thought you wouldn't come."

"Do you think that low of me, Cissa?" Daphne snorted as she pulled her into a hug. "How have you been? I haven't been able to come cover during the summer but thank you for the gift, it meant a lot."

Narcissa smiled softly, "No worries, Daphne. Perhaps we could chat later? As for now, we—well, you more than me have to attend the meeting."

"Right," she replied, breathing out as she followed her cousin through the Manor. "Is He here?"

"Oh yes, Lucius made him stay at home," she explained. "See, at this time of the year, I don't get to organise any ball. Besides, he trusts Lucius so I reckon my husband doesn't want to disappoint him."

"Makes sense."

As she finally reached the room, after what felt like an eternity; she took a deep breath, straightened her posture and headed straight inside. The room was packed with many people with many accents that she couldn't quite understand. Nervously, she scanned the room until she landed on Regulus who was having a conversation with Severus Snape. Daphne could act surprised to see him here but she always had that kind of feeling that he would end up here, well last time she heard of him, he wanted to be part of whatever they were.