thirty-one.

CHAPTER THIRTY-ONE
Do They Know It's Christmas?
December 24th, 1978.

Daphne had never witnessed such happiness in one person. Fabian Prewett had been awake since very early in the morning, so early that Daphne couldn't even tell if he had slept throughout the night. Nevertheless, he was happy---which was more than enough for Daphne to spend a marvellous Christmas. She would have never thought that she would get to spend Christmas somewhere else than Rosier Manor and with others than Evan and her parents. But, there she was, hours away from spending Christmas with The Weasley.

Some Christmas records was playing as Fabian happily roamed around the flat—Gideon was as excited as his twin, maybe a little bit less. Daphne could see that they had grown up in a family who cherished Christmas and ridiculous traditions. Daphne was happy to be with them but parts of her ached to see Evan again, to talk with Letty, to gossip with Narcissa or Regulus.

Her leg shook anxiously as she looked around, waiting for someone to open the door. Daphne was standing in front of her old front door, the one in old wood with the number 16 on it. Behind it reigned chaos and evil, but also love and nostalgia.

"Daphne," Evan's voice echoed as he appeared shocked. "Wha—why are you here?"

"It's Christmas Eve," she replied, taking a step closer but he blocked her way. "Eva—"

"Dad is still angry at you, Daph. He doesn't want to see you."

She scoffed, "If dad doesn't want to, then mum doesn't want to either, am I right?"

He rolled his eyes, "Of course mum wants to see you," he replied softly. "We both want to see you," he added.

"Right. Well, would you like to come with me for a bit?" She asked as he glanced rapidly behind him and grabbed his coat to head out. "Thank you."

"So, how are things?" He nudged her side softly as she looked at him.

"You've grown," she notified as he let out a chuckle. "Why are you laughing at me?"

He shrugged, "Nothing."

"I miss you, Ev. Why have you not contacted me?" Daphne asked sadly, eyeing the tree in front of her instead of her little brother. Truth was that she was extremely afraid to hear his answer.

He sighed, kicking in a rock, "Haven't had the time to do so," he admitted. "Ever since you had this huge argument with mum, things had been complicated..."

"I fought for you," she muttered. "You know..." she took a soft pause to breathe in before continuing. "All I did was for you, Evan. I really did it all for you—the mark, the killings or the spying."

"I know."

"Then, why didn't you send me a letter? Knock at my door?" She whispered, knowing her voice was about to crack if she continued using her voice normally. "I've waited and waited."

"I've told you the reason why," he said, glancing at her. "Besides, dad wouldn't let me see you..."

"Well, since when do you actually listen to him?" She queried, her eyes still locked on that same old tree.

He shrugged, "Ever since, you know...the mark," he mumbled.

She hummed, "What did he ask you so far? No killing, I hope."