nineteen.

CHAPTER NINETEEN
One More Year
July 14th, 1978

Eighteen years old. What did they say about turning eighteen years old? Not a lot of good things. The Muggles were now allowed to vote, to drive a car, to do a lot of cool stuff (according to Lily Evans). Daphne couldn't do much, except blow her candles tonight and act happy. She would try to be happy.

Knocks on her door echoed through her bedroom as she let out a groan, she really couldn't have a peaceful morning since she came back from Andromeda. She had not attended any meetings yet, which she was grateful for. Instead, she spent time with Evan, Barty and Regulus. Even her Mum who, lately, seemed to spend a lot of time with her.

"Daffy, we know you're awake," Evan chuckled as she felt the bed sinking down from each side, meaning Barty and Evan had sneaked into her room. "Bart heard you groan from the other side of the door."

"Sod off," she muttered, keeping her eyes closed.

"Happy birthday, Daph," Barty said, kissing her forehead as Evan did the same. "Eighteen years old, eh?"

"Cheers, mate!" Evan said loudly, stealing a laugh from Daphne. "Alright, Daph, Mum is waiting for you downstairs. Letty prepared that huge breakfast for you so please wake up."

Daphne sighed and hummed, "Right. I'll be down in five, Evan."

The two boys hummed, leaving Daphne's room. Ah, there. Silence. The house was dead silent or maybe she was too busy not hearing the noise around her. Daphne wanted peace, she wanted a quiet day where she would be able to enjoy being eighteen. With a sigh, she rose on her feet and headed downstairs.

Daphne had to admit that the house had gotten a lot more pleasant since she had graduated. Perhaps the stress of being caught at school had faded away, it certainly left her much more space to act the way she was supposed to.

"Oh, my love, happy birthday," her Mum wrapped her arms around Daphne, tightening her embrace a little as soon as Daphne returned the hug. "How does it feel being eighteen?"

Daphne chuckled, pulling away, "Not much, Mum. Not much," she replied. "Where's Dad?"

"In his study. He should be downstairs in a few. Go sit, Daph," she told her, pointing at the table where Evan and Barty were already sat.

Evan was laughing loudly about some jokes Barty had made. Good, Daphne thought. Barty was good for Evan, he felt like family and in those times, we all needed family by our side. Speaking of family, Daphne hadn't gotten any news from Regulus since graduation, she had heard from the Tonks who sent regular letters all signed by Dora at the end.

"Hello, darling. Happy birthday," her Dad kissed her cheek and sat down at the end of the table.

Daphne smiled and turned her head towards her Mother, "Mum, have you heard from Regulus at all this summer?"

Amalthea winced, "Not directly. We've heard from Walburga, whom tend to be much chatty lately. Apparently Regulus is not returning back to school," she explained calmly.

"Bloody what?" Evan exclaimed loudly.

Bacchus let out a sigh, rubbing his eyes with one hand, "Evan, what did I tell you two days ago? Your language," he muttered as Daphne caught her brother rolling his eyes.

"Regulus is not returning school, Evan. Your Aunt was very specific about that little detail," she explained. "But, she's mad your Aunt, I'll tell you that."

Nothing much was spoken of after. Just basic and simple discussion including the weather, school, meetings and things Daphne couldn't hear correctly. But so far, her birthday it had been good; she had her favourite breakfast and beautiful gifts from her family. Evan and Barty had gifted her a Muggle invention called a typewriter, her Mum had given her a family heirloom which she liked for once.