thirty.

CHAPTER THIRTY
Never Ending Spiral
December 18th, 1978

Daphne admired Fabian from the kitchen table as he wrapped some gifts. They hadn't really talked about Regulus' visit after she made it back home. She somehow felt guilty for talking with James instead of Fabian. If Fabian ever knew she had spent half of the afternoon with James Potter, he would say 'alright, I understand. It's fine.', except that it wasn't fine and Daphne couldn't bring herself to tell him. Fabian Prewett was special and precious, a rare gem that people usually struggled to find and he somehow chose her. She could never hurt him and if she ever did, she would hate herself for it.

"Daph, have you thought about spending Christmas at my sister's?" He asked.

Fabian wasn't exactly cold toward her, but he didn't feel like the sun he used to be, these days.

"I'd love to."

"Really?" His eyes lit up as he looked up at her.

Daphne smiled, "Yes, of course."

"Great. I'll owl Molly, then!" He exclaimed, kissing her lips softly before walking toward the office.

During her free time, she continued the research for the horcruxes, trying to possibly think what he could have used. But, it was rather complicated. Tom Riddle was smart, smarter than what the Order thought. As she thought through the plan, an owl made her jump slightly as she knocked on the window. That was a whole new owl that she had never seen. With a frown, she opened the window and let the owl fly on her arm.

Untying the little piece of paper on her leg and started reading it. Her heart started beating faster as she read it all. Tom Riddle had written to her, after months of being basically nonexistent. Why now? Did he know about Regulus seeking help? How could he?

"Love, you're going to lo--What happened?"

"He--I just got a letter. I have to get ready," she mumbled, throwing the letter on the other side of the kitchen table. Anxiously, she rushed to the bedroom, trying to find some clothes that would fit the meeting. "Fabian, have you seen my black skirt? The one that I wore not too long ago?"

"No, I haven't," he shouted from the kitchen as he grabbed the letter and started reading. "Daph, you're not going, are you?" He muttered, joining her in the bedroom while she searched frantically for the skirt.

She looked up at him, frowning, "Of course I am going," she replied. "I cannot just go."

"Love, hey, look at me," he pleaded, taking a step closer as she released a sigh, hiding her face in her hands. "Daph, it is going to be alright. He doesn't know about Regulus coming and you're the best at Occlumency, he won't be able to read through you."

"I don't know," she mumbled, letting out a small sob. "I--Don't you think it is weird that he sent me a letter now? He hasn't been writing to me in weeks. I--"

"Calm down, please."

"Alright," she breathed out as she finally found her skirt and threw it on. "It's going to be alright, isn't it?"

He gave her a reassuring smile, "It is."

Giving him a tight smile, she headed towards the bathroom and splashed some water on her face hoping to look at least presentable for this meeting. There was no precision on the letter, just an hour and a place, which Daphne was familiar with. Anxiously, she grabbed her purse and took one last look in the mirror before walking out of the room, just to land on Fabian.

As expected, he was waiting for her with a worried face, "You don't have to go, darling," he reminded softly.

"I do," she answered with a sigh. "Hopefully, I will be back before night."