four.

CHAPTER FOUR
Quidditch Day
January 7th, 1978

"Pandy, for Merlin's sake!" Daphne exclaimed as Pandora Malfoy tapped her shoulder to catch her attention.

"I'm sorry, Daphne," she started, taking a long pause. "I didn't think I'd scare you. I'll think about it next time," she assured, sitting down next to her.

It was actually normal to see Pandora wandering in the Slytherin common room, after all she'd be everywhere—maybe it was a Ravenclaw trait, to be so mysterious and spaced out. Not that Daphne minded, of course not. The Malfoy did though, Lucius never spoke about his little sister nor did Narcissa. Giving Pandora a look, she patted the place next to her on the sofa as the Ravenclaw sat down gracefully next to her.

"What is bothering you, Pandy?"

Pandora grimaced, "Have I ever told you how much I loathed this horrendous nickname?" Daphne chuckled, shrugging her shoulders. "Do I look troubled?"

"You do," she replied, closing her notebook and turned her body so she was fully facing her. "You can tell me what is going on, we are friends."

"Just...family, I presume," she sighed softly, smiling. "Have you seen my brother lately?"

"You mean Lucius?" Pandora bowed her head quickly. "He was at here for Christmas with Narcissa, I haven't talked to him though. You know how much I hate the arsehole."

Despite her state, she chuckled, "I know," she replied, then cleared her throat as she stood on her feet. "Thank you for being a friend, Daphne. Oh, and beautiful necklace you have there."

Her eyes widened a little as a hand reached for the necklace James had given her. Pandora walked away wordlessly, and Daphne let her eyes linger on Pandora until she was out of her sight; hoping to be finally alone so she could concentrate on her last essay but, instead her little bother showed up and sunk into the sofa. Daphne cleared her throat, looking back at him.

"Are you feeling better, Daph?" Evan asked, handing her a cigarette. She took it and put it between her lips. "So, you're smoking again eh?" He teased.

Daphne grunted, "Sod off," she muttered, lighting it before taking a long and needed drag. "I shouldn't smoke, I've been trying to stop."

It was true, Daphne had been trying to stop smoking ever since her mum had caught her and Evan with a cigarette. Besides, it did not help with Quidditch, her endurance was just lower than usual and she hated it. But, tonight she needed to smoke; needed to not overthink what Pandora had said about the necklace nor the match for tomorrow. And, it would be a stupid lie to say she hated it.

"Ready for tomorrow, eh?" Evan asked and she cussed at him silently. "Oi! What has gotten into you? You look like you're not here at all," he added.

Daphne rolled her eyes, "I'm ready for the game. The team and I have been training a lot—"

Before she could continue, Evan cut her off, "Oh, I know that. Regulus sometimes complains about it," he snorted.

Daphne laughed, taking her time to look around the common room. Half people were away from her as though she had a terrible desease, "Why are they so away from us?"

"Oh, that," he muttered softy, scratching the back of his neck. "They know about the mark and all, I just think they're scared," he admitted.

Daphne could get angry because they had nothing to fear from her, but she stopped herself from doing it, "Fair enough," she sighed loudly before rising on her feet. "Night, Ev," she muttered, kissing his cheek as she strolled to her dorm.