Chapter 10

Gunshot, Gunshot.

We obviously looked down to see if one of us got the shot. I was relieved when I didn't feel any blood on me. I went up to Maria, seeing she was just standing there. Suddenly she collapsed in my arms. She got hit in the shoulder, and lower right thigh. 

"CALL FOR HELP"

Bernardo and Tony rushed to her side, but I was so mad at them "GET AWAY FROM HER, THIS IS ALL YOUR FAUTLS." they backed off. Ambulance came 15 minutes later, she was still conscious but she was loosing a lot of blood.

I rode with her, I ran inside with her on the gurney, she was taken to surgery. 

I was all alone in the waiting room.

Waiting, hoping nobody comes.

But an hour later Anita came and I embraced her.

"Any news?" I shook my head "This is all my fault, I shouldn't have gone"

"It's nobody's fault, well except Bernardo and Tony"

"I'm scared, Anita"

"It's okay va estar bien tu hermana"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(The following morning)

The doctor came out, "She lost a ton of blood, she's anemic but we are giving her blood, she's still unconscious due to the anesthesia, but she should be waking up in the next 30 minutes"

We were so relieved, it's like a big weight lifted off my body.

We waited there for the next 30 minutes. 

The longest 30 minutes of my life. 

Finally, the nurse came out, calling us back, I walked into her room, she looked like she was still sleepy, which is obviously normal. 

I rushed to her bedside, and grabbed a hold of her hand, I kissed it and started to get watery eyes. 

"I'm fine"

"YOU COULDV'E DIED" Anita gently closed the door

"What in the world made you think you can stop them"

"I don't know, but I had to try" she sounded groggy.

She walked to Maria's other side and kissed her on the head, she also sat down. 

She started to cry, Maria brushed her hair with her warm hand, Anita wiped her tears "I'm just glad you guys are safe" 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Later that night)

Of course Anita and I stayed the night, one sleeping, the other attending Maria, getting nurses for pain meds, changing the diaper, well she can't get up so diaper it is. Then one sleeping, one up, sleeping, up. The morning went by. We were still there, not wanting to go home and face everyone. Except we took turns freshening up and eating.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was the same routine for the next two weeks. 

well except Maria, we were taught to help her to her wheelchair, she was starting to slowly walk but she needed the wheelchair, shower her with her thigh cast, and her shoulder bandage, It was tough but worth it. After two weeks she was released. We walked all the way home. 

We used the elevator. Got in the house, it was dark, and empty. 

We turned the light on, empty. We placed Maria in the master bedroom, because of the toilet, and it wasn't facing the street, not a lot of car noises. 

Anyways, Maria didn't want to go to bed yet, she was obviously worried, I held her hand "I'll look for them tomorrow, get some rest" so she agreed and Anita took her to get ready.

I have to admit, I was also worried, but there's no point in searching for them now.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following morning I went on a hunt for the guys, I went against Anita's wishes, she doesn't really want to find the guys, nonetheless want them to return home. As always I went to Valentina's shop, she was up but she told me Tony or Riff hadn't come back.

neither Bernardo. So I decided to go to Central Park, hoping to spot at least one of them.

When I got there, I went to the trees, you know from the first kiss. 

Luckily the three dumb boys were lying separate on each side of one tree. With newspaper on their faces, so as the nice little lady I am, I got water from a water fountain, filled it in an empty free cup that I got from a vendor. 

Then splashed it on each boy, being the dramatic boys they are, they jumped up and got in defense mode, I laughed in their faces, they got wide-eyes when they noticed who it was, they cleared their throats and acted chill. 

"Dummy's"

"What are you doing here? wait is Maria-"

"Alive and well, yes, she's home" I saw relief fill their bodies, well except Riff, he scoffed.

 "I told you" But he looked relieved. Which made me smile. 

"Wipe that smile" Bernardo said, I rolled my eyes.

"What are you doing here Princ-" Riff stopped himself 

"What were you going to say?"

"Nothing Bernardo"

"Guys focus, what are you doing here Val?"

"Well I came for you guys" I chuckled awkwardly.

"Well no can do Val" Tony grunted

"Well why not?" I asked

"Because the last thing we'd want to do is injure anyone else"

"You are not going to injure anyone, well I mean unless you kill them with kindness" I laughed, but only me, I quickly got the message and stopped laughing "Sorry" I cleared my throat.

"But you won't injure anybody, well as long as you don't fight"

"Well we can't guarantee that, but I guess we could try?" Tony asked

"Come on guys, for Maria's sake?" I asked, Riff and Bernardo started to sigh, think, sigh again and think, but finally they shook on it. I clapped and excitedly rushed them all they way to the subway station. 

Gah. I can't wait to see Maria's face.