Chapter Seven

A week passed, which meant we weren't grounded anymore. But still no sign of Riff.

I mean what if his in jail, or in a hospital, or maybe even de-

You know what I'm not going to think about that.

Anyways I stopped by Valentina's the following week. Sat down at the counter, asked for a glass of soda, just sitting there, waiting. Every time I heard the door opened I got my hopes up, it was just random people. I eventually fell asleep at the counter. I felt something behind me, so I woke up, sleepily to find Riff, but of course being very sleepily I just said hey and was walking towards the door, until I stop at the door, wait I've recognized that voice. I immediately went up to the person and hugged them, not even looking at them first "Huh thanks" I back away confused.

He was this cute Puerto Rican boy, tall, Brown hair, he was a mix of white too, interesting, he sounds like Riff.

"Sorry I thought you were someone else"

"That's fine"

"You sound like your from here?"

"Yeah born and raised."

"Ah que chevere"

"What's your name?" he asks

"Valeria, y tu?"

"Ricardo"

we shook hands.

------------------------------------------------------- During the same week we hanged out every day it was fun, we hanged out at parks, stores, restaurants, which he paid for. We got to know each other.

We had fun until the weekend. The weekend Riff came back.

I was hanging out with Tony and Maria in the storage/Tony's room.

"Why hola chicos"

We looked at the top of the staircase. We saw Riff, we waved at him and chuckled awkwardly.

"What did I say it wrong?" he asked "Nope that's right" Maria said "Man we forgot you existed" Tony said dramatically, which I giggled "Ha very funny" He placed his duffle bag down beside his bed. "So what's new?" He asked as if he hasn't mysteriously disappeared for two weeks. "Where were you?" I asked "Around" he answered "Around where"

"Just around, geez get off my case"

"GET OFF YOUR CASE? YOU GO MISSING FOR TWO WEEKS AND YOU WON'T GIVE US AN ANSWER AND YOU JUST SAY YOU'VE BEEN AROUND? WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU"

I shouted.

"Look you have every right to be mad at me-"

"Hello?"

Ricardo appears at the top of the staircase, "Well let's go" I say to Tony and Maria, we leave and Riff was just standing there, dumbfounded.

Good as he should.

The four of us just walked around the neighborhood, going to stores, Ricardo bought me red cherry lollipop. It tasted so good.
When we got back Ricardo brought us to the door and left. We talked at the counter.
Riff came up when he heard our voice's.
"Sounds like you guys had fun"
"Yes we did" I said
"Well we better get going"
Maria said, we walked out the store
And where walking down the street when suddenly my arm gets yanked.
It's Riff "WHATS WRONG WITH YOU"
I yanked my arm back
"WHO WAS HE"
"a friend?"
"Do you like him?"
He looks at me dead serious in the eyes.
"As a friend? Yeah"
"You know what I mean Princess"
"Please I'm not your Princess"
I walk away and I don't look back.
———————————————————————

(At home)

"What was he saying to you"
"Nada, no te preocupes"
"Te gusta Ricardo"
"Pues si, I've hanged out with him every day all week"
"Wait till Riff finds out"
Maria chuckles "his not going to find out"
"If you say so"