Moving in

When you first moved into home after leaving your old neighborhood, you didn't think it would be much better. But, after what happened there, as long as you remained quiet, you felt fine. Unpacking the boxes, you threw away anything that reminded you of your last house. Pictures, letters, cards all went in a box that you planned on taking to the forest and lighting on fire. The only thing you kept were essentials and a pink flamingo. A piece of color after the years of it being taken away. 

Finally, a full box was filled up. It felt good to get rid of the negative energy to be associated with it.  You would go out as soon as possible, but alas the sun was setting. Since you weren't familiar with the area, you decided to stay in and go to sleep early. Your house was so empty there wasn't much other than that to do. For the first time in a while you slept calmly without fear in your head. 

--The next morning--

Waking up, you fixed a cup of coffee and some cinnamon buns with extra icing, how you liked them. The spring air felt nice, so you sat outside on a picnic table. Birds flew by, singing sweet songs. The sun shined, drying the dew off the leaves and grass. There were other houses nearby on your main road, like a big dog house and a small general store. You hadn't talked to anyone in the neighborhood. You wanted to lay low and keep to yourself, in fear of getting to close like you did with your other friends. 

Your body went into panic mode when you heard someone whistling some music. They seemed like they were walking this way. You tried to seem like you were non-existent by staying very still. A man was walking by, carrying a brown mail bag with colorful buttons pinned to the flap. You assumed he was the mailman. He first stopped at the store's mailbox, putting in a white envelope with an orange stamp. Then, he went to the blue house's mailbox, sitting a small package on the grass by the post. Before resuming his path, he did a double take at my path to your home. That's when you both locked eyes. He paused at the end of it, searching for something in the bag. 

He ran away the same way he came, almost spilling the mail out of his satchel. This gave you peace of mind, comforting you and letting you get back to eating your breakfast. Once you were finished, you picked up your plate and headed back inside. You noticed the garden in front of your house was full of weeds, so you decided to do that for the rest of the day. Putting on a pair of overalls, you grabbed your small rake and went outside. It was hot, and you were sweating immensely. Dirt got in your fingernails and occasionally on your face, making it itchy. There was nothing that you wanted more right now than some cold, refreshing water and to be in the shade.

"Uhm, hi neighbor! How are you?" a man's voice said. 

Falling back into the crumbly dirt, you grabbed your rake and tried to defend yourself with it. Your heart was beating a million times per second. Unfortunately, your hat fell in front of your face. You couldn't see a thing. 

"Oh my gosh, I am so sorry! I didn't mean to startle you that bad! Here let me help you," he said, placing a hand on your arm. 

Feeling defenseless, you let him help you up, still having your sight blinded. You dropped the rake and fixed your hat. You remembered the guy, he was the mailman from earlier. He was holding a pink envelope with heart stickers. You took a couple of steps back, almost stepping into the garden. 

"What exactly are you doing here?" you snarled in fear.

"I wanted to give you this since you're new here!"- he holds out the letter- "I wanted to get to know you better!"

You took it from his hands. He smiled wider and started fidgeting with a beaded bracelet on his wrist. You questioned what was inside that made him so happy that you took it. You tried to smile back, but you weren't sure that you were doing it right. 

"Thanks," you said.

"You're welcome. Well, I better get going now, I have more stuff to deliver. See you later- well, I don't know exactly what your name is." 

"It's Y/N," you reply quickly.

"How pretty! My name is Eddie Dear, but you can just call me Eddie. Nice to meet you!" He shined.

He then walked away, almost like he was skipping. If he was nice, you had high hopes that the rest of the neighborhood was going to be nice too. But something about your encounter just shook you. It might be because you haven't seen another person for 2 weeks, but it felt different. You felt like you both could be friends for a long long time.