38

All around us, nobles filled the room, greeting my sister and I while my parents spoke with the king and queen

All around us, nobles filled the room, greeting my sister and I while my parents spoke with the king and queen. Emerson filled her mouth with Hors d'oeuvres while Mason and I stood together nervously. I watched my parents. They handed the goblet and ring to the queen, who seemed to accept it graciously. She locked eyes with me and nodded, turning away from my parents. My mother returned light as a feather and I was finally able to stop pulling at my gloves. "It's taken care of." She smiled. "Still grounded," my father reminded me. My parents left us to mingle, a girl with purple hair entered the room next following after Lady Elizabeth and General Hanover with her head bowed, like she was ashamed to be here. Then after her, a girl with curly hair and a navy blue dress. "Sweet Luna is that..." Mason faltered. "Is that Stella?" Emerson looked in the direction of the girl and gasped. "No fucking way."

"What do we do?" I asked as Mason abandoned us to go do gods knew what. Emerson and I chased after him, Mason was many things but he was not subtle. The girl spun around and eyed us all with irritation, her eyes landed on Mason and she gawked at him."Mason?"

"Luna, it really is you." He breathed. She reached out for him but he recoiled. She frowned, "Are you not Mason?"

"He is! He's just nervous." Emerson explained, grabbing his hand. The purple haired girl turned around. "Is everything okay?"

"Fine..." Mason breathed. "It's fine." He said, storming out the ballroom. "Shit, wait here." Emerson advised, leaving me alone with Stella and a stranger. Well, two strangers technically. I chuckled awkwardly, starting to back away from the situation when suddenly Stella and the girl turned there attention to something behind me. I turned around, "Audrey!" The three of us chorused. She looked much better than expected. There wasn't so much as a mark on her, the only sign that she'd ever been to ineluctabilis was the exhaustion which marked her face is subtle ways from the way her eyes hung lower to the soft expressions she offered. She moved slower, and though she wasn't as enthusiastic to see us as we were her, she offered us the most energy she could provide. "Hi girls." She smiled, approaching us. She looked at me, "did you do it?"

I grinned, "I did." Audrey's face lit up as she wrapped me in a hug. "I knew I could count on you." She released me and greeted the other two girls. While she was doing that, I turned my attention to the door which was closing from the newest entry, Apollo. "What is he doing here?" Stella whispered from behind me. Audrey assured her it was okay but she seemed unresponsive to Audrey. I left them, joining Apollos side. He seemed indifferent to having company but acknowledged me anyhow. "Are they coming?" He asked. "Aiden is. Hannah couldn't make it." I bit out.