34

It was quiet all around us except for the low rumbling of larger beasts

It was quiet all around us except for the low rumbling of larger beasts. I chose to believe they were snoring. I formed a rope from shadow, and tied it around myself and then Stella. I grabbed her hand. When the tear opened again, we would be ready. Stella's grip on my hand tightened, as if she thought she wouldn't leave with me. We waited in the snow for minutes longer. She clenched my hand tighter and then the world began to rumble. It felt like an earthquake, but the sliver of light that shined through the sky told me it was not. It was dark, night. The day hadn't passed yet. "Hold on." I told her. I shot the rope upward, it attached itself to tree on our world. It pulled us upward with a jolt and Stella hugged my waist while I clenched the rope with my free hand and a sword in my right. A large hand swiped at us, just barely missing and my blade swiped the skin of it earning a shrill scream from the monster. Once we were out of the tear, I felt my magic surge, and a shroud pulled us upward from the cliff of the forest. The same cliff we had just come out of, only it was our world and it was colored and light and beautiful. I inhaled the sweet air and cried, turning my head to the sky.

Behind me, Stella gripped the grass, looking around her. She whimpered, and the tears began to fall from her eyes just as quickly. "We made it." She cried out. "Gods, we fucking made it." She repeated, pulling me in for another hug. The soft breeze of the wilting season brushed against us, the sun beat down on our skin warming our bodies. The only remnant that we were there was the snow in our hair and our clothes that would surely melt by the time we got to the school. I separated from her and laced my fingers with hers. If Apollo had gone to the crown about the goblet, I wouldn't be able to take refuge in the castle. The only place I could think of was school, at least there I knew Victoria could help me. I wasn't sure how long it'd take on foot, and Stella was too rattled to make any choices yet so it was in my hands. I helped her up and began the long descent back to school.

 I helped her up and began the long descent back to school