9

Hours of looking through the library, it was nearly two in the morning and there was nothing

Hours of looking through the library, it was nearly two in the morning and there was nothing. Nothing. Not a single book, passage, or even passing sentence about mind control or body manipulation. I groaned, climbing off the ladder in exhaustion. The task was starting to feel longer than I had initially projected, and I wasn't willing to sacrifice extra time for Audrey. If there was no information on it here, there'd be nothing I could do to help.

A girl with brown skin and blonde hair moved through the library with ease. She must've came in recently, as I hadn't seen her when I arrived, but she know how to navigate the library better than I did. I cleared my throat, walking over to her. She spotted me before I got close, and eyed me, her eyes were hazel but I saw faint specks of gold that burned like flames. Her lips curled into a smile, "How can I help you?" She asked.

"I'm looking for a book on mind magic." I said. Her smile dropped, "What for?"

"I need a charm, something I can use against it." I said. The girl sighed, "there's no book here that can help you with that. You know, it's banned and all." She said.

"There's some in the palace, but, you're not in the palace now, are you?" Her smile reformed, she looked around the room thoughtfully. "I could help you though."

"Please." I said listlessly. She beamed, gesturing for me to follow her. I trailed after her, she pulled an empty scroll off a shelf, unrolling it. A charred feather pen popped into her hand, she scribbled on to it, mumbling, then handed me the scroll, which was slightly burned in some areas though it was new. "We're not supposed to talk about it, but that should help." She assured me.

"How do you know?" I asked. "My girl- I don't. In fact, you never saw me here." She blabbered. I raised a brow at her, "Thanks..."

"Liv, I'm Liv." She said, "Now go on, go get your mind control repellent." She said, waving me out the room. I took the scroll, rushing back to my dorm. I refused to open it until the door was shut and locked behind me. My roommate slept soundlessly, but I could tell he was long asleep, so far, not even the goddesses could wake him. I lit an orb and held it over the scroll to see.