30

Everywhere was dark and I was cold and tired

Everywhere was dark and I was cold and tired. I was still in the dress I'd worn yesterday, at least I think it was yesterday. There were no windows in sight, it was the same place I'd seen Silas in my dreams, I knew it was real though because I was in pain. Real pain. I had bruises along my body, the last thing I remembered was being in the school bathroom... the pretty blonde girl. There was a low rumbling noise that told me I wasn't alone, and I was too scared to move, too scared to call for help. Time seemed to move differently than I was used too down here, like it was frozen... almost frozen. If the snow around us wasn't falling I would've believed it was entirely cold. I pulled myself off the hard ground and began stomping my way through the snow. I attempted to light a torch in my hand but my magic wouldn't spark. This wasn't how I planned I'd start my school year. And the goblet... I didn't have the goblet. I fumbled around my neck for the locket, but that was gone too. The queen issued a search for it, Apollo came clean he was... he betrayed me again. How did I get here? "SILAS!" I shouted. "GODDAMMIT GET ME OUT OF HERE!"

"PLEASE!" I cried out, stumbling down. Snow melted against my hands, any warmth that would've remained was gone and these uniforms were not warm. I pulled myself up and called out again. "OLIVIA?" No response. Whatever was done here with me stirred about, roaring. None of them were in my surrounding area so I continued on, hoping to put more distance between us. I began to understand a bit, the place where no magic reaches. It's why the gods could never escape. Ineluctabilis. Of course no one would hear me, I was calling out to nothing and no one. Another place that wasn't built for mortals, time was slow down here, but we were so capable of dying quickly. No food, no light. Silas had done this and Apollo had taken the opportunity to make himself a hero. He'd get his halo back and I'd die. Stella was right, they couldn't be trusted. None of them. I felt numb, aside from the snow pricking into my skin, it's cold penetrating my body. I collapsed into it, at least that was something I could feel. My teeth chattered from the cold. I called out again, only this time my calls were met with a response. "Shhh." A voice whispered. "They don't like when mortals come down here." I recoiled, "who's there?"

"I'm Stella." They said. "Who are you?"

My heart pounded out my chest, as angry as I was with Audrey and as foolish as I'd sworn she was reading her note a few moments ago, I couldn't deny she was smart

My heart pounded out my chest, as angry as I was with Audrey and as foolish as I'd sworn she was reading her note a few moments ago, I couldn't deny she was smart. Earlier that evening, the saints came to dinner reporting the missing goblet. They demanded it was found and any and all suspects be brought forward. Neither Apollo nor Audrey had mad an appearance so I was forced to check Audrey's dorm, where I discovered a letter and where to find the goblet. Now, I was walking through the school soccer field in a heavy ass gown swearing at the world because I loved my friends so deeply. I ran my hand along the bleachers chanting the reverse incantation for her reality warping spell. The note said, when I close it would unveil itself and its was right. There was a messy dirt pile beneath the bleachers where the goblet had been buried. I hadn't brought a shovel so I was forced to dig it up with my hands and conceal it. Her instructions specifically said to bring it to Apollo and against all my better judgement, I listened. Part of me wished I was as carefree as Emerson now. She'd have no problem following Audrey's instructions but I was having a morality crisis about it. Still, I wanted to see her safe. "Hey!" A rough voice shouted at me. I continued walking through the school courtyard. If you acted innocent, they'd assume you were innocent. Emerson had always told me. Maybe her advice would finally help out. "By order of the queen, I command you to stop!" The voice shouted again. I froze. What the hell is a royal guard doing here? I spun around. "Yes, sir?"

"What are you holding in your hand?" He asked. I opened my hand, "Nothing?" He looked over me skeptically. "What are you doing out of your dorm this late at night?"

"I was feeding the horses! I always do that after dinner!"

"In yer gown?"

"Yes, sir!" I smiled as innocently as I could. I debated batting my lashes like Emerson but I had some self respect. He cleared his throat, "don't let me catch you outside these dorms again tonight." I shook my head, "You won't sir!" He might. I ran off to the angel's dorms, with Audrey's ancient - stolen - relic in hand. I didn't understand how she made the stolen artifact thing look so easy. One second under pressure and I was already sweating. I pushed away my thoughts, entering the common rooms. They were boring to say the least, and empty. This time of night the mage common room would be bustling with activity. I found the clipboard of room numbers and went to find Apollo. His room was not easy to find, the Angel common rooms were like a labyrinth but somehow I managed to find my way. I considered knocking but my fist decided to bang on his door instead. It cracked open. "Apollo?" I whispered.

"Victoria? Why are you here?" He asked, opening the door. I unveiled the goblet, "where's Audrey and what the hell is going on?" I seethed. Apollo pulled me into his room, locking the door behind us. His roommate was nowhere to be seen and his room was a mess. "She's gone." He said, exasperated. "I have to find her. You're taking that with you, let's go."

"I'm sorry, let's what?" I sputtered. He glared at me, "are you gonna look confused or be helpful?"

"I-" I started, but Apollo didn't wait around for a reply. I followed after him. I knew all I needed to know. Save Audrey, get the details later.

 Save Audrey, get the details later