4

My palms were sweating by the time we had made it to the dining hall

My palms were sweating by the time we had made it to the dining hall. Alice tried reassuring me that I was fine, but after a while gave up and left to go join her friends. I tried to do the same, but I froze in front of the dining hall doors. Students brushed past me, displeased they wouldn't get their fancy entrance from the movies, but I ignored them. I couldn't hear much except the ringing in my ears. I tried to catch my breath but quickly realized there was nothing to catch. I felt the world was spinning and as soon as I could feel my legs again, I walked out the building, trying to get away from all the students, everything.

I found an empty room and hid in it, sitting down in one of the seats. I felt myself hyperventilating, everything moved in slow motion but too fast at the same time. I knew if I didn't go back, I'd get Alice in trouble, but if I stayed, I'd be doing good for myself. I was so deep in my distress I didn't notice the man standing over me, one of the saints. "Wæksilülkütomümi, child." He greeted. "Mümenünyæk tüthækenünkæksüs." I responded, it was informal and I noticed his sneer but I was too disoriented to care right now. "Leave her." Another Saint shouted, her voice familiar and protective. Saint August. "I will take care of her." She said. The Saint started to argue but she silenced him. "Jügo nünowæks." She ordered, and he complied. She joined me on the altar, turning my chin towards her. "Tell me, what ails you, child?"

I sucked in a breath, "I'm gonna miss dinner." I replied, "I have to go."

She shook her head, "You must tell me what's wrong, child." I bit down on my tongue, hard. What Saint would take kindly to hearing the children of the beings they worshipped were acting disgraceful? I'd be shunned, I was sure of it. She'd hear my honesty as lies and banish me from the church. "I-"

"All good things come with a price, Audrey." She said, as if she could read my thoughts. "It's only natural the angels would feel jealous, their mothers will be greatly disappointed in them, but it is none of your concern." She said.

"You look lovely tonight, do not miss dinner because you are afraid. You are blessed now. They have no power over you." I tightened my jaw and nodded. "Büblüliskwersüs yækoyu, Audrey." She smiled, guiding me out the door. I felt numb, hardly noticing that in my clenched fists was a locket and a note. I stuffed the note in the pocket of my dress, the church doors did not open for me again that evening, if I wasn't meant to have this, they did not come to claim it, so I forced myself back to the dining hall and finally made my entrance.