Chapter 15

Aurora entered the library of the town where she now lived. She went directly there the next day after the funeral was over for her parents. Aurora went there on her bicycle and she rode as fast as she could. She had to go find answers. Since she was now a young adult, she didn't have to stay in an orphanage like she always heard in stories, unless you had other family members left. Aurora absolutely did not want to stay with random families.

After she arrived at the library, she parked her bike in the parking lot for bikes and locked it for security. After her bike was secured, she went inside while carrying her black shoulder bag. It belonged to her mother. Aurora gave a nod as a greeting to the lady who was working at the computer. She returned it to her. Aurora was silent while some were reading or looking at books. The library not only has books, it has movies, but Aurora doesn't need them. She was looking for a book about the legends and myths of wolves she befriended. Right? They were friends, right? Aurora hoped so. They came to her yesterday to wish her good luck after her parents were killed by The Wolf Killers. Now she felt like Bella from Twilight who bought a book to learn more about wolves and vampires.

Aurora went to a computer that was free and sat on the chair. She typed on the computer and began to search. A black book managed to grab her attention. It was about the legends and myths in the town where she now lives. She read the information about where it was and immediately went there. It did not take her long to find the right book and she took it in her hands. She looked at the book carefully and opened the pages. There were some chapters, as well as drawings and pictures. What she didn't notice was that Lori was there, too.

Lori was also there to look around until she saw Aurora. After she saw the title and the cover of the book, she stormed up to her friend and snatched the book from her.

Aurora was startled by it and after she looked to see who did it, she had an angry expression on her face. "Lori?" She was also kind of surprised to see her.

After she also made eye contact with Lori, she saw that something was different. Her eyes... were exactly those of a wolf! Aurora let out a small gasp of shock and made her mouth open to say something quickly, but Lori pressed her hand to Aurora's mouth and shook her head no. She put her hand away and looked around quickly before grabbing Aurora's hand and dragging her with her to the girls' restroom. After they were in the restroom, Lori quickly checked that no one was in there by looking at the colors of the lock. They were all green, a sign that no one was in there. Aurora continued to watch Lori the entire time. After all this seemed complete, Lori turned toward her friend. "Why did you look for this book?" Lori's expression was serious.

"Because I was looking for answers," Aurora said simply, with discomfort caused by Lori's expression on her face.

"And why were you looking for answers? Do you even know how dangerous it is?"

The conversation continued between the girls. Lori also appeared to be even furious, while Aurora understood nothing about why it was dangerous to look for answers. Just before she wanted to ask Lori about her eyes, Lori interrupted her. "You're in danger, Aurora. Don't you get it? Your parents' death is just the beginning. They are after you! Since you know about our existence, they want to kill you."

Aurora was startled by what Lori said but also by how loudly she used her voice. Hopefully, there were no people around or even close to the toilet. Was she in danger? Do The Wolf Killers want to kill her? Just because she knows about their existence? Since they were wolves, they could definitely smell her. Aurora already knew that, but where was she supposed to go? Run away?

Wait a minute... Was Lori a wolf, too? She looked shocked at Lori. "Y-You're a...?"

Lori knew all along with what Aurora was going to say so she nodded at her. Aurora didn't know how to respond. That was too much for her. Now that The Wolf Killers are after her and want to kill her, it scares her. Aurora took a step back and wanted to run away, but Lori grabbed her wrist. Aurora looked at Lori's face and saw how pleading and soft she looked.

"Please, Aurora. Don't run away. I would never hurt you. Can we talk about it somewhere else?"

Aurora nodded. Together they left the restroom and Aurora borrowed the book she had been looking for. After they were outside, Aurora put the book in her bike bag, unstrapped her bike, and walked beside Lori while also walking with her bike.

*

After the girls got to Lori's house, her parents were gone. Lori was grateful that they would not listen to the conversation since they were gone. Aurora's bike is in the garage and she also has a book of legends and myths with her. When the girls were comfortably seated on Lori's bed, they began the conversation. Aurora began asking questions about wolves and how they actually began.

Long ago, in the times of the Middle Ages, a witch cursed a thief who stole her food. Out of anger and rage, the witch cast a wolf spell on the man. He would turn into a wolf whenever he wanted and, unfortunately, there is no cure for it. The man, being a wolf, lost control and shared the curse with his family by biting them like a vampire. The curse spread throughout the world years later. Aspen experienced a biting accident as a child when he was still playing in the woods. As Aspen grew, he learned to control the transformation and was chosen by his ancestors to be the alpha of the other wolves still alive. Aspen shared the curse with his friends and together they decided to do good deeds as wolves instead of bad ones. But Aspen also has enemies. The Wolf Killers also arose in the earlier years and would attack or even kill tourists if they found out about the legend or if they were in their territory.

The goal of The Wolf Killers is to be serial killer wolves and also that the alpha boss is the strongest alpha in existence. But to be the strongest alpha, you have to be able to defeat or kill the other alphas. Only Aspen hasn't been defeated or killed yet, and now the alpha of The Wolf Killers is trying to kill Aspen by luring him into a trap. But Aspen is smart.

Lori was just a teenager when she experienced the curse. She didn't know about the legend until she was threatened by The Wolf Killers. One of the wolves bit her and, as a result, Lori carried the curse with her. She was, fortunately, able to escape the killers.

Aurora was in shock and fascinated by the story Lori said. So a thief caused the curse to be created? Probably the ancestors spread it by moving. Normally, the word legend means a made-up story invented by people, but you really never know. There are also even urban legends, ghostly or scary stories by the people. Every country has its own legends.

"But how did you meet Aspen?"

Lori replied that she was running in the woods one day until she was attacked again by a member of The Wolf Killers. Aspen was nearby together with his group and that was how they had met. Since Lori was in great danger, Aspen trained her and made her a member of the group, even though the group was called The Wolf Boys.

"The story is cool, Lori, but ... what am I supposed to do now? I'm in grave danger."

Lori put her hand on Aurora's shoulder. "The Wolf Boys and I will protect you. Aspen knows where you live and he will be nearby along with me and the group. The Wolf Killers are often active at night. Be prepared for it."