Chapter 3 - I'm the best. Right?

When I woke up in the morning, I could definitely feel that I had a tough fight yesterday, to say that I was sore would be an understatement. After all, I fought the Owl Lady, but I still didn't expect it to be that challenging. I got out of bed and started to go over my morning routine. For the first time this month, I started my day in a decent mood, at least not until I heard my mother calling me from the dining hall.

"Amity, dear, breakfast is ready, don't make me wait for you." I hated the way in which she said the last part of the sentence, I could already feel that this won't be a nice and easy morning.

As I get down, I greet my mother with a polite "Good morning, Ms. Odalia." She smiles at me grimly at points at an empty seat. I look around, luckily my dad is nowhere to be found. I sit down and start eating and just as I'm about to get the first bite I hear my mother's voice in my head, Titan, I hate this communication necklace she gave me.

"I see you noticed that your father isn't here, he had to attend to a pressing matter in the emperor's castle, but don't think that it will get you off the hook or that you can avoid reporting to him about the outcome of your mission." Surprisingly I didn't even care too much about what my mother just said to me, yesterday's talk with Emira gave me a slight confidence boost at least for now.

"Of course, I understand" I replied "However, I also have pressing matters to attend to today so it will have to wait at least until evening. I have already scheduled a training session for today." It was quite visible that my mother wasn't exactly happy with this, she gave me the "watch your tone" look and proceeded with her usual rant.

"Very well dear, when you finish your breakfast, I will have one of the butlers escort you to your training and later ensure that you come directly back home just after you are finished." Of course, she has to make sure that I don't get sidetracked, she wouldn't be herself if she didn't. Although I wasn't really worried, even though my mom is theoretically an oracle, most of the time she is extremely short-sighted. After all, I'm an abomination master, I will just release the butler from existence and then form him back as I get back home.

After I finished eating, I left my mom at the table, I have to admit, it went better than expected, mostly because my father wasn't there. I call Ghost to come to me, this way I will be able to get to the training faster. Actually, Ms. Lilith told me that I'm very lucky that the emperor allowed me to keep my palisman upon joining the coven. I don't understand his resentment towards people having their own palisman, but rules are rules, I'm not here to question them.

Just before I leave, I see Ed and Em goofing off in the garden, they spot me, and Em asks.

"Look who is finally up, how are you doing today, Amity?" She asks, this time I'm sure there is no mockery behind it since she uses my real name instead of "Mittens", oh Titan, I hate when they call me that.

"Surprisingly well, mostly thanks to you Em." I respond smiling slightly.

"Good to hear that, off to your training I suppose?" I nod then Edric adds; "Good luck and have fun then". I wave them goodbye, get on my staff, and start flying towards the training arena. I immediately spot the butler leaving the manor hastily, I decided to deal with him just around the corner and then continue my flight.

As I get to my destination, I can see that Ms. Lilith is already waiting for me, I land just next to the entrance and I'm greeted with "Hello Amity, it's good to see you." As always, Lilith's delivery is cold however I always hope that she truly cares for me, at least a little. I respond with a polite "Good morning, Miss Lilith, it is good to see you as well." Contrary to conversations with my mother here my politeness and respect are genuine and not fear-induced. We enter the building together and start with the usual magic warm-up, practicing simple spells as well as a little physical warm-up, it is not that obvious but magic battles are also physically exhausting.