Chapter 21 - Establishing boundaries

This wasn't my first trip to the principal's office, some would even say that I'm familiar with this route. Amity, on the other hand, was terrified. On our way we met Jamie, grinning sinisterly. We entered the office and I casually greeted the principal's secretary. She let us into his office, we went inside and took two of the three chairs waiting.

"Good morning, Luz, Ms. Blight." He greeted us, "We will wait a bit until your mother shows up, I have already called her."

Oh no, that's bad, a visit to the office is easy to handle, but if they got my mom out of the hospital, she will be mad. Now I was also slightly terrified, but still not nearly as much as Ami, she was sitting on her chair, staring into nothingness. It didn't take long for my mom to come. She stormed into the room, visibly unhappy that she has to be here.

"Good morning principal, what happened, why was I called here?"

"There is a pressing matter we have to discuss, regarding both Luz and Amity. More precisely, they got into a fight with a student yesterday, and as a result of this fight said student ended up with a broken nose."

"They did what?!"

"I have been told that the fight happened after school, nonetheless such situations cannot happen, during or after school. Henceforth I decided to suspend indefinitely both girls."

My mom looked at me, "Luz, why do you always have to get into trouble, and drag Amity with you..."

"Mom, it's not like that, it isn't the truth, Jamie is lying."

"Luz, drop it, I'm sure the principal has enough evidence to back up his claims." My mom said, looking at Principal Hal. He started stuttering and became visibly uncomfortable.

"Well, Ms. Noceda, about that... the only evidence is Jamie's word and his broken nose."

Honestly, I have no idea why he admitted that, but it was more than enough to tip my mom off. She looked like she was about to kill him on the spot. "You are saying that you are suspending them based only on some student's word?!"

"Well, I have no reason not to believe him, he is one of our top students and Luz... she often causes trouble..."

I felt offended by this, I rocketed off my chair but before I could say anything my mom went all in. The only person still sitting calmly was Amity, on the verge of crying. She looked like this since she heard the word suspension and I don't think she already processed what's happening.

"You! YOU! Piece of... dios mío... This is ridiculous, how can you suspend a student based on their previous record? Unbelievable, I will make sure someone from the Board of Education hears about this." My mom was yelling at Principal Hal.

It was a perfect time to put the last nail in the principal's coffin; "Actually, I have a video of this 'fight' and it might turn out to be quite different than what you would expect." I pulled up my phone and started scrolling through it, I knew it was a good idea to save it back then. After a few seconds, I had it ready and showed it to my mom and the principal. They both were totally speechless, looking at Amity obliterating Jamie without touching him while he is cursing at her. Honestly, I enjoyed the look on Principal Hal's face, the look of shock as well as damned man.

When the video came to an end Amity finally spoke up.

"I- I- I only wanted to protect Luz, I'm so sorry..." she muttered.

"There is nothing to be sorry for, you did nothing wrong." My mom said; "and now, I'm sure the principal will apologize and properly punish the real perpetrator."

"uhhhh, sure thing... My deepest apologies, to all three of you, I shouldn't have been so quick to judge... but may I ask; How did it start in the first place?"