Chapter 16 - United once again

The time has finally come, the guards stormed into my block and prepared me for transport. I knew that I didn't have a lot of my natural magic left but it should be enough to get out of the cuffs, now I have to wait for the right moment to strike. At first, I follow them without any signs of resistance, even trying to bargain, in order to make them less alert. From my studies of the conformatorium, I perfectly know which parts of the building are the most vulnerable and least guarded. When we are passing through one of those isolated corridors I decide that it is time for action.

Breaking the cuffs into pieces certainly shocked the guards. Without a second thought, I grab a few glyphs I had prepared and start immobilizing my enemies. Luz was always quite effective with those so hopefully, they will be enough for me as well. For the most part, it was more than enough, unfortunately, one of the guards managed to get to the alarm and activate it, meaning there was a lot of fighting ahead of me. I use the moment of silence to re-group and prepare new glyphs to defend myself against incoming adversaries.

Soon enough new waves of guards come in while I'm trying to hold my position, if it is supposed to be my last stand, then be it. Slowly, I'm beginning to get overwhelmed by the number of guards attacking me. I have to admit, plant glyphs are effective but not as effective as some more advanced spells. A few spells managed to get through my defense but luckily I didn't get hurt yet. Not that it matters right now, if they arrest me once again it's over anyway.

Suddenly, time around me seemed to slow down followed by a huge blast of light. All the guards dropped down and I was left there standing alone. When the remnants of the spell wore off and all the guards were lying unconscious on the floor Lilith marched in.

"Hello Edalyn, causing troubles as always?"

"Lilith, came to finish the job?"

"Luckily for you, I didn't, considering the state you are in magic-wise it wouldn't be much of a job anyway."

"Then what are you doing here?" I asked.

"If it hasn't occurred to you yet sister, I'm helping you escape. I may not approve of your methods but I'm definitely not looking forward to your petrification."

"How kind of you, and here I thought you didn't have a heart."

"Don't push it Edalyn. You've got a chance, use it, don't make me regret that. It will be easier for both of us if you stop fighting and lay low."

"You know I can't Lily, how am I supposed to lay low, when your wonderful coven is out there, abusing its power all the time."

"Edalyn, just do what I say for once."

"Said coven leader to an enemy of the state and became a traitor." This mysterious voice surprised both me and Lilith, we turned our heads around and faced Kikimora with reinforcements.

"Uh, Lily, I think it's time for some magic, don't you think?" I said, prompting Lilith to act. And so she quickly drew a spell circle in the air and we were out of the conformatorium in the forest. I had no idea Lily knew teleportation spells, they were too hard even for me... I'm kinda jealous honestly but for now, I can't do any magic so not the biggest issue. Regardless of how high-level teleportation is Lilith wasn't even exhausted. For now, she was mainly freaking out.

"Oh Titan, she saw me, I can't go back. What will I do now? I have nowhere to go. I will- I-"

She sounded as if she was going through a heart attack or something. I partially understood her, if she was to go back there, she would become a nice stone statue right next to me.

"Hey, Lily, breathe. Come on, look at me, one, two, three." I tried to calm her down a little.

"But- everything I worked for, all my accomplishments, erased. I'm finished in the coven, if I'm caught I will be petrified. No, I just- just-"Here she was, panicking once again.