Chapter 25 - Questionable decisions

"The last moths were a huge success in terms of our fight with the emperor's tyranny. We've recruited hundreds of new members..." I was listening to Raine's speech but couldn't fully focus on it. It felt weird, being in the same warehouse as always, but this time surrounded by a huge crowd. Though my biggest concern was the absence of the Blight twins. They were our main contact on the inside of the emperor's coven inner circle considering their family connections, yet we haven't heard from them in a while.

Raine continued his speech, but there was nothing new for me, everything went as usual; congratulations for bravery, plans for the future, etc. The expansion of rebel cells has only one problem, it may lead to more of an open war and I'm afraid it may happen soon. When the topic of intensifying our operations was brought up Gus squeezed my hand a little tighter, he too wasn't too keen to go to an open war. Unfortunately, as much as I hated this idea, it seemed like the only way now, unless Belos decides to abdicate, and everyone knows that won't happen.

After the meeting, Eda called us to the private meeting room, and I have to admit, I have a bad feeling about this.

"Gus, Willow, you are going on a mission with me and Raine." Eda said as soon as we entered the room and closed the door.

"What mission and where?" I asked.

"We have to sneak into the Blight Manor, according to our sources the Blight twins have been compromised and we have to get them out of there."

"But the Blight Manor is a stronghold, only the emperor's castle is better protected." Gus said.

"We know, that's why we are taking you with us. You already did a lot of break-ins."Raine explained.

"We know, but this is another level." I said. "The emperor's coven has almost no security, but all the abomatrons in the manor? There is no way."

"There is, abomatrons won't be a problem, we have someone who can get inside the manor and deactivate them and before you ask, no this person can not extract the twins because their cover must remain, well, confidential." Raine said. That was actually quite intriguing. There are not many witches who can deal with even one abomatrons, without mentioning multiple. I wonder who is the person working from the inside because they have to be extremely powerful.

"I know we are asking for a lot, but Gus, do you think you would be able to create an illusion powerful enough to hide us from basic disillusion spells?"

"Hard to say, but probably no, it would require coven head levels of magic to do such a thing."

"And what if you had this?" Eda said, pulling something from her hair. It was a tiny blue crystal."

"Is that...?" Gus asked.

"Yes, a small part of Galdorstone. We don't have more, but it should be enough, don't you think?"

"Surely, but... are you sure you want to give it away? We could use some powerful magic other than illusions."

"Yep, I'm sure, even with a whole stone we wouldn't be able to force our way into the manor so a powerful illusion is our only chance." Eda paused for a second, "don't lose it, getting it was quite a struggle."

Gus took the stone and hung it around his neck. Looks like we will go on that mission after all. I still wasn't sure what I was needed for, but if I had to guess, Eda wanted some help if things got messy.

"Ok then, meet us tomorrow evening, meeting spot nr 5. We will be waiting. Now go get some sleep, you will need it." Raine said and we didn't protest. We left the room and looked at each other. It won't be easy to pull off, but I knew that with Gus by my side it's at least doable. When I got home I did exactly as advised and went to sleep, knowing well, that tomorrow I will face the hardest mission in my life. Sometimes I wonder what I've gotten myself into with this whole rebellion... Though at least we are fighting for a better world, the question is, how much longer...