Chapter 17 - Zealous to help

Time for breakfast, I wonder what kind of wonderful meal I will get today. Even though it turned out that it wasn't anything extraordinary I still enjoyed it much more than at home. Back on the Boiling Isles either I had no breakfast or was forced to eat with my parents and eating with them was never a pleasure. Who would have thought that eating PB&J can be enjoyable when you don't have to worry about your safety.

"Amity, I have a question for you." Camila said, "Since the end of August is close I would like to know if you want to attend school here. I'm aware that schools in the demon realm are probably very different but nonetheless, since you are probably staying here for a long time I want to give you a choice."

This caught me off guard, I looked at Luz and she shrugged her shoulders. I never thought about attending human school but maybe it's not a bad idea.

"I can give it a shot, why not."

"Perfect, however, there are still some problems we have to overcome to make it happen. First of all, the fact that you officially don't exist, you don't have any documents or anything like this."

"Where can you apply to get those then?" I asked.

"Well, the problem is that I'm not sure if you can apply when they have no record of you even being born. Do you maybe have some magical way to fix it because I've been wondering how to do it and haven't come up with any reliable idea?"

"Mom, are you encouraging Amity to forge documents?" Luz joined the conversation.

"Forge is a strong word, I'm looking for possibilities. You said it yourself, there is no way to predict how long you will stay here and if it will be a few years or even longer. Amity will have better opportunities in her life if she finishes school. Besides, someday we will have to do something about her document anyway."

"But what if anyone finds out? We could be in trouble." Luz continued but I didn't let her finish.

"They won't. I'm pretty sure I can create an illusion that will be convincing. Just tell me what to do and I will manage."

"I'm still not the biggest fan of this idea..." Luz said.

"Everything will be alright Luz, I promise."

We finished eating and after cleaning up Camila guided me on what I needed to do in order to obtain an ID.

"Recently, our lovely government introduced new population records, based on an electronic system. At first, it would seem like a bad thing but it actually is perfect for us. Since the launch the system is full of bugs, bugs big enough to make it to national news."

"How are bugs in the system? Aren't bugs alive?" I asked confused.

"No, no, not that kind of bugs, I mean errors in the system."

"Oh right, human stuff."

"Anyhow, I think if we get any kind of a document for you we should be able to smuggle you into the system. I think it will be the easiest with a birth certificate. If you give me a second I will find Luz's so you can see how it looks."

"Sure, is it all I will have to do, replicate one certificate?"

"Hopefully that will be enough, when you are in the system you should get an ID card and then we will be able to enroll you in school, but we will deal with that later."

Camila left the room and went to the basement. After around five minutes she came back with a piece of paper and handed it to me.

"Here you go, this is Luz's birth certificate. Obviously, you have to change the name, date of birth, etc. but that is a general layout."