42

Megumi wondered how many times she would show her vulnerability to the same people she wishes to appear strong to. Probably a lot more than she expects herself to. For she, afterall, has many secrets. Far too many that its quantity may send her friends to coma. They will not be delighted to know that, she's sure. But what can she do when her creator gives her an angsty background? (A/N: Sorry about that. Peace!)

As Meg recalls, her life was never private like it is when she got transported into this world. Since birth, she was thrown in the limelight, the spotlight following her wherever she goes that the thought of being the favorite character of the spotlight operator crossed her mind. Her life, to her, seemed like a drama to entertain the gods or whatever supernatural divine beings are out there. She had felt extremely targeted as tragedies and tragedies came one after the other as if it followed a schedule.

Megumi never felt to be the one in control of her life. Like her decisions were only made due to the fact it was the only option during that time. Imagine having a multiple choice test and you were only given one item. She cannot even not choose or skip that goddamn question. She had to pick it in order to continue to the next number. The twisted part of the test was that the given choice was not even the best one, but the worst. Hell, it was not even the correct answer!

Whilst she struggled by the type of test she was given, the by-standers- people who were not supposed to meddle with her life- are given the privilege to take the identification test with her as the main subject. They get to put anything on the blank space. Correct or wrong, they bear no consequence for their answers while the poor woman carries whatever it is they wrote.

It is very unfair for her. So much that Meg assumed that everyone has something against her.

If she were given the opportunity to enumerate the bull she endured, she's confident that she's capable of listing over a hundred items.

And if the her sob story were required to be written in an essay forum, they better be prepared to read until they're near to lose their sight since she will for sure fill in rims of paper. Back to back.

Meg is like the incarnation of bad luck. Which is probably why she is pulled in by her current captain, Monkey D. Luffy, who is a magnet for the unlucky despite him blessed with luck. He balances their dynamic, Meg suppose.

Speaking of luck, Megumi wondered if being brought to this word is a good one. If she didn't wash up the shore of Syrup village and wasn't found by the couple, Rael and Anna, she would've been dead. And if she didn't leave that village to become a bounty hunter, she wouldn't know if she'll still be able to reach twenty. She won't be following an idiotic captain now and get stuck with whatever act of lawlessness he commits and clean up his mess. But she could now say she doesn't regret this decision, I guess? Well, she'll definitely never say that out loud, but the fact that she can now laugh and express her emotions and desires freely speaks it loudly than her voice ever could.

However fortunate things may have gone for her in this world, she still can't stop thinking of her home country, of Konohagakure. Her memories there were horrible, but not each one. She does remember that she once smiled, laughed, and loved in that village. She was happy before she was sad. She had cried with tears of joy, not only with anguish. She learned that happiness came with sorrow. Joining the Straw Hats Pirates brought her so much pleasure to the point of contentment; thus, now comes the consequence of misery.

Nothing lasts forever, she was aware. Hence, her mask deteriorated and the mist around her started to be lifted. Megumi has to be the one to expose her true self for she thinks that if they were to discover her secrets themselves, they might leave her.

Luffy smacked her when she told him that. The rubberman repeatedly said in utter frustration that they will never abandon her due to such silly things. Megumi said she was hideous, her actions grotesque, but Luffy said it didn't matter; he doesn't care and she shouldn't too. Luffy sees her altruistic nature deep under the stain she was painted in.