New Year's Eve

"You guys do know I can sense you, right?" Meg purses her lips, annoyed by her crewmates antics. Never can she ever have a peaceful time within this ship. Forget sleep. "A blindfold is near useless."

Frustrating giggles was the reply she received; her groans unheard.

"It's the middle of the night!" Can't they let her sleep? Meg knew that their previous generosity was too good to be true. This must be the payback. Though she has no idea why whatever spiel they're pulling requires a thick dark cloth tied around her head and covering her eyes.

"If this is kidnapping, you suck at it." She murmured, absolutely not entertained the same as her companions.

"Careful. Were going down the stairs." Usopp at her left informs her. She nods, though in truth she doesn't need it. Her senses haven't failed just yet.

They guided her. Luffy holds her right arm ever so gently. Meg could hear the pitter patter of his slippers on the floor boards, his exercise of patience on his  baby steps to match her pace. She could see the rubber monkey biting his lower lip, his forehead scrunched up while staring at her feet before taking those small steps to be in tune with hers.
Usopp, on the other hand, is nearly dragging her by the elbow. She could sense his impatience along with his excitement.

Meg paused, her guides taking a second to stop. She senses the questioning gazes directed at her, but her covered eyes face north, nose scrunching at a certain scent.

Gunpowder.

That's odd because that's not where the canon is.

Next. Candle wax.

Unconsciously, she took a step back; already having an idea what her crewmates are about to pull. And if her guess is correct, it won't make her happy at all.

None of her guides seem to have noticed her feeble attempt to escape as the sniper pulled her forward, nearly making her lose balance. He got chastised by Luffy due to that, but Usopp simply shrugged it off.
Together, they brought the anxious kunoichi to the front deck.

Meg's erratic heartbeats could probably match the Yondaime Hokage's speed by then.

She has been too comfortable these past weeks and hasn't been paying attention. Recovery sure is an acceptable excuse for her negligence, but her relatives in the Pure World do know how to smack her for not acting like the perfect ninja they raised. She didn't display "constant vigilance".

And she forgot what day it is today.

They took off her blindfold, her eyes settling on the three tier chiffon cake on the table.

Suddenly she felt something stuck in her throat, making it difficult for her to breath.

She doesn't know what to feel in moments such as this.

She stared at the lit candles, mentally counting them. Their shapes are.... She wouldn't comment on the dent and cracks, but just that they resemble... erm, are those even senbons and kunais?

The corner of her lips tilted.

Is supposed to be happy?

Such puny efforts.

Twenty-one

"Happy birthday, Meg!"

She don't deserve this.

That cake... there shouldn't be a candle stuck on it.

It should be on her grave.

There shouldn't be twenty-one. She's not supposed to reach her twenties.