25

Tsunade paced over her office, biting her thumbnail. Her face desolate yet her eyes are bleary with worry.

A month. That's the length of Rabbit squad's mission.

Two and a half months has passed, yet not a single message was received and their location is unknown. The client sent them a message, informing them they have arrived safely at their country and even sent gifts for the shinobi as thanks, but the receivers were yet to return.

Had it not been for her goddaughter making her promise to not give her any special treatment and treat her same as any other shinobi, she would've sent squads of elite jounin and anbu to search for her.

Megumi was never late.

Unlike her, that precious child is way too punctual to be late even for a minute, a second even. The only time the Uchiha Princess was late was when there an assassination attempt against her, and she's barely two seconds delayed that time.

The same goes for missions.

Megumi, either solo or with a squad, finishes quicker than the estimated time for each mission.

That's why Tsunade's freaking out for Megumi is justifiable.

Megumi may be born an Uchiha, but she raised her like one of her own. They may not be related by blood, still she is Senju Tsunade's daughter.

Goddaughter, child, daughter, student, disciple, successor... You name it. Megumi is Tsunade's most precious person.

Eyes stern and fully determined, Tsunade slammed the door open. "Shizune, summon the elite jounin! NOW!"

The loudness of her voice is same as always, but the urgency in her tone caused Shizune to move faster.

In three minutes, six elite jounin stood before the fifth hokage. Even Hatake Kakashi, known for his tardiness, is present.

Tsunade's brown eyes swept through them: Nara Shikaku, Yamanaka Inoichi, Sarutobi Asuma, Yuhi Kurenai, Maito Gai, and Hatake Kakashi. Curtly nodding her head, the female hokage expressed satisfaction.

"I don't have time to wait for the others, so I'll settle with you six." The jounin's curled their eyebrows in confusion yet their faces hardened. That meant the situation is dire.

Tsunade took a deep breath to ease her erratic heart. "Rabbit squad led by Red-eyed Rabbit was dispatched two and a half months ago for an S-class mission. The mission was completed but they are yet to return." She slaps the letter from the client on her desk. Being the nearest, Shikaku picked up the paper, his dark eyes scanning it before passing it to Inoichi.

"No messages were received from the squad and we currently can't reach them. Their location is unknown. I am sending you to search for the missing anbu squad, especially their team leader. Finding Uchiha Megumi and ensuring her safety should be the first priority in this mission. We cannot lose the last Uchiha affiliated with our village."

"I apologize for interrupting, Lord Fifth." Shikaku takes a step forward, tipping his head in respect to the village leader.

Tsunade's eyes fell on the Nara clan head, frown deepening. "What is it, Shikaku?"

Granted with permission to speak, Shikaku didn't hold back. "Lord Fifth, no offense, but you are aware of the ninja's rule to put the mission first, also of the determination to keep secrets at the cost of our lives, same with the anbu. I'm not one to speculate, but we also have to consider the squad..." He bites his lip, the word too bitter to be spoken. "-eliminated." He managed to finish.

Silence and dread filled the room.

"...As a former anbu myself, I can attest to that. But--" Kakashi steps up. "Body Elimination Technique." He exhales shakily. "Is what you're implying, wasn't it?"