Prologue: The Long-Awaited Birth

"A daughter is a blessing to her mother and a gift to her father"  - Beren

Middle Earth Date (MED) Third Age (TA):1st August /Urui 2998, Location: The Elven Realm of Rivendell in the Misty Mountains.

Hot, still air permeated the silent corridors and walkways of the House of Elrond. Not a harp or voice dared to cut into the atmosphere. The whole house was waiting. Outside of a chamber, a small group of Dunedain rangers waited expectantly. From behind the door, they could hear a woman's cries and moans from within. One ranger nervously paced up and down. The smoke from his pipe made long trails behind him.

The door opened, drawing his attention, and a mortal woman exited the chamber. She wore a white kerchief over her dark brown braid that matched the apron she wore. The ranger quickly approached her. "What news, Labes?"

"All is as expected, my Lord. My Lady is progressing well. Lord Elrond believes the babe will be with us before daybreak." She smiled and made a half bow before returning to the chamber.

His companions gathered about him, offering encouragement. A man with one arm patted him on the back. "See, my Lord Beren, you will soon be a father. A fine son, I am sure, and he will be as princely as his father."

"Thank you Tolben. If he is as hearty as your little lad, then I shall be content."

The woman's cries became more intense. Beren could not bear it any longer and made for the chamber door. "Naerien, I must go to her!" But another of his companions barred his way.

"The birthing chamber is no place for Men, Beren! Naerien has her mother, Labes and the Elves assisting her. Calm yourself, cousin, Elrond has never lost a woman or child yet."

"I know Aragorn. But to hear her cries and be unable to comfort her. After all she has endured."

Aragorn placed a reassuring hand on Beren's shoulder. "It will all be forgotten at the child's first cries. Before you know it, Gruinith will be placing your son in your arms."

"Have you a name yet, Beren?" asked another Ranger.

Beren smiled nervously. "Aye, I have Halbarad. I shall name him Berenion, son of Beren."

Halbarad patted him on the back. "A fine name. We shall soon be toasting his arrival."

The tapping of a stick on the floor caused the men to turn and see an old man in grey robes approaching from the other end of the corridor.

Aragorn approached the old man, giving him a warm embrace. "Gandalf, what a pleasant surprise. You have arrived just in time, old friend."

Gandalf's bushy eyebrows rose as he chuckled. "I always do."

Naerien's cries suddenly ceased and an eerie silence fell over those gathered as all eyes turned towards the chamber door. Beren swallowed painfully. His mouth was dry, and a wave of giddiness overcame him. He breathed deeply as seconds crept by like hours before a piercing cry announced a child's entry into the world. The rangers all breathed a sigh of relief, patting Beren on his shoulders as they congratulated him. Tears welled in Beren's eyes, his lips quivered as he tried to return their good wishes. The baby's cries softened, then ceased, and shortly after, the door to the chamber opened.

Lord Elrond emerged carrying a tiny bundle, his face a picture of wonder and joy as he gazed down at his precious charge. "She is perfect," he whispered.

Beren looked at him with a confused expression. "She?"

Elrond beamed, his bright eyes full of warmth as he turned to Beren. "Naerien was delivered of a fine and healthy daughter."