twenty three

"WHAT?!" YOU EXCLAIMED, EYES WIDE. "Why would she do that?"

        You turned to the brothers who stood by the front door for answers.

        "We don't know that she did," Nico responded uneasily. "The timelines don't add up. We'll know more once she's here and we can put your stories together."

        Your mind whirled, and you had to sit down on the step. "Put our stories together? I told you what happened." Your words were aimed at Nico.

        It was Rian who responded to you.

        "Fact is, Bambi-" you hated how that sounded on his lips. "-we know Aerilyn. She loved Zuka more than anything. So, do I think she's lying about what happened that day? No. I saw the aftermath. And so did you, Nico." He looked at his brother pointedly before his heavy gaze was back on you. "Which leaves me with one big, unanswered question: why did you lie?"

        "Rian, enough!" Nico roared.

        Mithun marched past you, heading straight for Rian. Nico stepped between them, hands on his shoulders, guiding him back to the staircase.

        "Easy, pup," Nico soothed.

        Mithun growled, "My Mom didn't lie! How dare you!"

        It took a moment for his words to register.

        "Why did I – what?" your heart raced at what he was accusing you of. "I – I didn't lie!"

        You were trapped, you realised.

        If they thought you were lying – if they thought you'd stolen Mith or whatever – they wouldn't let you leave. Nico wouldn't let Mithun go either, not now. Not after finding out he was alive and bonding with him.

        "Nico," Rian said, pulling the front door open. "You know Aerilyn. She'd have done anything to protect him. Tell me honestly – do you think she lied?"

        Nico didn't answer right away. Just stared at a spot behind Mithun – behind you, too. His eyes unseeing, jaw tightened. Eventually, he muttered a soft, "No."

        Your insides twisted.

        Rian nodded, satisfied. "And then there's this mortal, who you've known what? Two weeks?" his cold eyes found yours and you lifted your chin, matching his gaze with a glare of your own. "Don't let your attraction and appreciation impair your judgement, brother. She is not one of us."

        Mithun struggled in Nico's hold. "She is one of us! Don't say things like that! You don't know her!" he shouted.

        "You're right." Rian turned his back to you and stepped outside. "We don't."

        When the door slammed shut behind him, you didn't flinch.

        Mithun pushed Nico away. His father let him go and did nothing to stop the angry fists which pounded against his chest.

        "How can you let him treat Mom like that?" Mith cried, furious.

        Nico said nothing. He gazed at Mithun with a troubled expression.

        The silence, his lack of reaction, angered you, too.

        You stood, the steps allowing you to tower over him. Betrayal stung your heart.

        "So, is this my life here?" you questioned, throat aching. "I'm- I'm some kind of suspect. An outsider? I didn't lie, Nico," you stressed, blinking away tears. "Gods. I can't believe this. I thought. . ."