thirty six

NICO SHOVED MITHUN BEHIND HIM, his wide eyes locked onto your form.

        "B-baby?" he said, unsure. His fingers twitched to reach for you, but was it even you?

        As if mirroring his thoughts, Rian stepped forward with his gaze narrowed, shoulders high and on alert—ready to shift at moment's notice. "I don't think that's her, Nico."

        "What?" the words left your lips but it didn't sound like you. "You don't recognise me?" You pouted.

        It was your voice, but colder. Sharper. Edge of a blade. You hugged the sheet tight to your naked body, tucking it under your armpits before standing with otherworldly gracefulness. There was an ethereal glow to your skin.

        Nico scrubbed the tears off his face, turning to bark over his shoulder to the small gathering behind him. "Get out of here. Tell the guards to go on standby." They scrambled, obeying. His eyes locked you once more, features hardening. "Who are you?"

        You sighed dramatically, toeing at some of the flowers by your feet. "You'd think one would recognise their freaking goddess," you muttered, peeking into the hole they'd dug out for your body. "Oooh, that's pretty deep. Looks like I woke up just in time because that would not have been fun to dig out of, that's for sure."

        "Goddess?" Rian repeated, sharing a look with Nico.

        Nico paled at the same time Mithun exclaimed:

        "The statue at our village!" He turned to his Dad wide-eyed. "You said it looked like the one at your temple! Everyone always said she looks just like Mom!"

        You held up a finger. "Actually, she looks just like moi."

        "So, you're not her. You're not my-" Nico's voice broke and he deflated. He'd known it wasn't but hearing it still hurt. "What do you want? And be quick. I'm not happy about you using her body as—as your puppet."

         It made his heart ache, having to remind himself every few seconds that it wasn't you speaking to him and moving around. You were gone.

        "Rude," you huffed, making a face, offended. "If you must know. . .I'm healing her. Where do you think all of her injuries have gone?" you gasped playfully. "Poor girl looked like she'd been ten rounds with Mike Tyson." You paused, tapping your chin with your finger. "Wrong world. Don't worry. You won't know who that is."

        "Healing her?" Hope had his chest fluttering. Nico stepped forward. "You can bring her back?"

        "Nico. . ." Rian trailed off.

       "You!" You pointed at the alpha. "Zip it! The Goddesses are not happy with you!" Your eyes swirled with glittering golden fury and Rian faltered, realising that maybe, whoever had control of your body, was telling the truth.

        You turned to Nico with a smile. "Yes, Enforcer Nico," you purred, walking around the grave and stopping just in front of him. You threw Mithun a wink. "Your Mom will be back soon, pup. So, for the love of the gods do not bury her." You rolled your eyes, muttering 'stupid shifters not giving me time to do my work' under your breath.

        Despite his instincts saying there was no danger, Nico pulled Mith behind him. "How?" was all he managed, wondering if he was dreaming because people didn't just come back from the dead. Well. . .Mithun did. Like mother like son, maybe.

        You peered at your fingernails, bored. "As the stunning, magnificence, powerful beyond measure Goddess Artemis, I can do whatever the hell I like. Well." She paused, eyes finding the sky. "Almost. I can only walk the land in my form once every ten years. Which is a pain in the ass, fyi."