twenty seven

YOU WERE GRINNING SO WIDE it hurt your cheeks.

        Nico's hands covered your eyes, your back brushing against his chest as he guided you out back to his porch. He stayed mindful of your feet as you shuffled along blindly.

        "Ok," he breathed into your ear, his hands touching your shoulders. "Open."

        A dirty, off-white blanket covering something large and square came into view.

        "What is it?" you wondered curiously.

        He nudged you forward. "Go find out."

        You took a step, overly aware of his eyes on you. It made you nervous lately, the way he watched you. Like you were prey caught in his sights, he could not let you go.

        Gripping the cold and scratchy material in your fist, you threw it off and stared at a wooden box with a barred door—A cage.

        Your eyes widened, your heart skipping a beat. Did this mean –

        You turned and looked at Nico for answers.

        Despite the nippy air, he still refused to wear a top. Not that you minded. Sheepishly, almost shyly, he closed the distance, hands in his pockets.

        "I want you to feel at home here. And I realised that caring for animals is a big part of that," he said so softly it made your chest itch. "I know things are uncertain right now, with Aerilyn missing and no way to line up your stories, but I have full confidence she'll return soon, and then we can put all of this behind us. In the meantime, this is your home, and we have plenty of space here for your rescues if you wish to use it."

        Never before had a man done something so, so meaningful for you.

        "Nico. . ." you were speechless. There were no words to describe just how much this meant to you. Instead, you let emotions take over and placed yourself before him. One hand landed on his stubble-covered cheek as you tip-toed and pressed your lips softly against the other.

        "Thank you," you whispered against him. His hands found your hips, and you thought it was strange how familiar and comfortable he was for someone you'd never even kissed. Well, on the lips.

        His throat bobbed visibly when you pulled back. Keeping your hand on his face, you brushed your thumb against his cheek just because you could—just because he hadn't told you to stop.

        "One day," he rasped, a hand sliding from your hip to your lower back, snaking under your tunic, forcing a gasp from your lips. He was so warm your skin tingled with it. "When our alpha will allow me, I will vow myself to you. Completely. I'd. . .be honoured if-" he swallowed again, voice tight. "-if you'd let me have you in return."

        Despite not knowing what that meant, your belly fluttered.

        "I'm not. . .experienced. In relationships," you admitted in a whisper, embarrassed. "But if that's what you're implying. . .I would love to learn. With you."

        His eyes darkened at that, fingers flexing against your back.

        "I'll teach you. . So. many. things," he murmured, stroking your skin sensually. "How a kiss can make time lose all meaning," he lowered his voice, eyes locked onto yours. The air around you sparked. "How my touch will have you trembling beneath my fingertips. How my body will fit so perfectly with yours, you'll never want me to leave. You'll feel the mould of me inside of you for days."