thirteen

"That was nicely done," Nico comments as he hangs the stag from the tree and lets it drain.

        Blood drips off his naked shoulders and chest, staining the waist of his beige linen trousers.

        He was more than impressed with his son's hunting skills. Even more so knowing he'd had to train himself. He was a natural. Pride swells in Nico's chest.

        "Thank you." Mithun stands taller at the compliment, eager to please his father.

        So much like himself, Nico thinks, because he was the same way with his old man.

        "It sounds like your Mom's sleeping," Nico comments, his hearing picking up the slow beating of her heart and breathing. "That's good. She needs as much rest as she can get."

        "I'm surprised she's letting us take care of her. She's usually really stubborn about things like that," Mithun admits.

        "Mom's find it hard to switch off," Nico responds knowingly. "It's hardwired into them. My mother was the same. My father would threaten to tie her down if she didn't take a break. He'd take over her chores, look after us kids, force her to have some down time and she'd complain about it, but reluctantly admit afterwards that's just what she needed."

        Nico chuckles fondly at the memory.

        Mith's eyes brighten. "They're my grandparents, right?" He receives a nod in affirmative. "Are they still alive?"

        Nico smiles. "Yes, they're over a thousand years old now. Retired. My father handed his alpha title over to my brother a hundred years ago."

        "Wow," the younger shifter breathes. "Will I be able to meet them?"

        "I can take you there. They transferred to the Sandtide pack. It's out of the way, but well protected. They have these huts lining the beach and overlooking the ocean. Going there is like having a vacation. Peaceful, but more importantly for our elderly, safe. I visit when I can. Next time, I'll bring you with me." His hand lands on Mithun's shoulder and he gives it a squeeze.

        Nico adds, "They'll be so happy you're alive and well. You're going to be spoilt once we get back."

        "Spoilt?" he questions.

        "Gifts," Nico clarifies. "Presents. Food. Toys."

        His eyes widen. "That's a lot of stuff," he breathes excitedly. "My Mom always got me what she could but. . .she didn't have a lot of money."

        "It can't have been easy being a single mother," he acknowledges. "Did she work? Other than her rescue."

        "She'd take shifts at the local tavern on weekends whenever Jessa could babysit me."

        Nico rubs his chin.

        "Starting to think bambi never caught a damn break," he mutters, mostly to himself. Then he thinks about how now is a good time to bring it up since Mithun mentioned her name. "Jessa sounds like she was a nice lady. You were close to her?"

        "She was my aunt," he says sadly, hanging his head and toeing at the grass. "When he killed her. . .I wanted to rip him apart. I think I would have too had Mom not been there. She doesn't like that stuff so I didn't want her to see it." He pauses. "Then that guard shot her with an arrow and I was so angry that someone could hurt her and with what just happened to aunt Jessa I saw red and-and-"

        "Easy," Nico tells him softly, seeing the boy losing his breath. "It's okay, Mithun. It's hard to control your wolf when your loved ones are hurt or in danger. I understand."