nine

༓・*˚*・༓☾ THEN ☽༓・*˚*・༓

        THE SECOND YOU SPOT Mithun sitting sheepishly on the wooden seater, you're racing across the room and pulling him into your arms. 

        You cry and babble at him, squeezing him tight. 

        Meanwhile, Jessa stands at the opening between the living area and kitchen, watching silently, arms crossed and concern twisting her features. 

        Words tumble from your mouth incoherently. Something along the lines of I was so worried. How could you do this to me? Never leave me again, and I thought I lost you.   

        Once you've calmed down, you pull back, keeping your hands on his shoulders. 

        "What in Gods name were you thinking?" you roar at him. You're a mess but you don't care. The fright he'd given you had taken years off your life. "They could have killed you, Mithun. Do you understand that?" 

        "I just wanted to scare him, Mom!" he defends his actions, eyes begging you to see his side. "I'm stronger than they are, and I heal fast. They wouldn't have killed me."

        Possibly. 

        But it's not something you want to put to the test. 

        "The whole town will be on alert now," you speak to both Mith and Jessa; she nods in agreement. "We need to be prepared. Have bags packed. Frederick is suspicious. If he can convince the guards. . ." 

        Jessabelle finishes for you, "They'll be kicking down our door without hesitation." 

༓・*˚*・༓☾ NOW ☽༓・*˚*・༓

        There's a vague path imprinted into the ground, leading you through more trees and between bushes. You follow it for roughly ten minutes before you finally get somewhere; a natural archway curved with branches and vines tumbling down either side. 

       Entering the clearing, your breath catches in your throat. 

        A uniquely white cliff face sits to the left, roughly one-hundred yards away. Moss and ivy cling to it, a waterfall cascades down the front. 

        The side closest to you is inclined, a bumpy trek to the very top. Trees dot along the stretch of grass separating you from the rushing water, green blades reaching your ankles. 

        You can't see past the water at the bottom of the cliff but unlike the rest of the area which was surrounded by forest, there's a picture-perfect skyline, leading you to believe there was a drop-off a short walk away. 

        "Gods," you breathe, stepping forwards with a limp. "This place is...like something out of a storybook." 

        You make it half way towards the waterfall when Mithun stops, his entire body going stiff. You halt with him, following his gaze which was aimed at the treeline to his right. 

        A huge beast awaits, fur as black as darkness and two very blue, very sharp eyes stare back at you. 

       Before, you'd been stunned.